Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature too low

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The dome temperature dropped to 250 after getting the turkey on. I haven't been able to get it back above 275. I am trying to achieve about 325.[p]I am still new to the temperature control. This is only my third cook. The other two came out great. Any ideas for a newbie? The turkey has been on about 1.5 hours.[p]Thanks in advance.[p]Michael

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    mmckellip,
    If your egg was "stabalized" at 325° when you put the bird on...just leave things alone...the egg is still running at temp..no need to change your vent setings..[p]Wess

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    mmckellip, Drop down and read some of this morning's posts. When you put a big, cold, bird in there it's going to take the BGE a while to adjust.

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    mmckellip,
    Open damper slightly. After 1.5 hours it should have come back to 325. If your egg was at 325 for a least an hour before you put the bird in, it should have come back. Make minor adjustments. You didn't say what size egg you had or how big the turkey was. My advice is based on an XL with a 17 lb bird.

• mmckellip,[p]Prior to putting bird on, did you have temp stabilized at desired temp? If so, it will eventually climb back up assuming your settings didn't change.[p]Jake
  • Mike in Abita,[p]It is a large BGE and 21 lb turkey. I had it at 320 for about 45 minutes before I put the turkey on. It actually dropped some more to about 235. I blew some air through the lower vent and it has come back up to about 260. it is cold and drizzling outside here, which may be making things tougher.[p]Thanks for the fast responses.

• WessB,[p]I may not have had it stablized enough. It was at about 320 for 45 minutes before I put the turkey on. It actually had dropped further until a blew some air into the vent. I may be too impatient.

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    mmckellip,
    You should be OK. Just let it come up to temp on its own. Cold weather shouldn't have an effect. Big cold bird smaller than my egg, takes time. Mine started out at 325 for an hour put bird in then dropped to 218 for 20 minutes before starting to climb. I didn't get back to 325 for 1.5+/- hrs.[p]Mike

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    mmckellip,
    45 minutes I would call stabalized...you should be fine...relax and enjoy your day...let the egg do the work..[p]Wess

• Thanks everyone for the fast responses. I think I will sit back and have a beer. I did go ahead a tent it loosely with some foil because it was getting pretty browned on the sides.