Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp control help

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I stabilized my temp fo 45-1hr at 325. Put turkey on and for the last 1 hr-1 1/4 hrs I can't get dome temp above 280. BGE thermo is not touching turkey or pan, I used the wiggle rod, and all vents have been fully open for the last 45 min. Full load of lump. Coals are glowing when I peek in. Any ideas? I'm monitoring bird temp with a digital thermo. Think I'm just gonna go with it.

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Georgia Dawg,
    Sounds good. As long as you aren't on a tight schedule, things should go ok on their own.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Georgia Dawg,[p]Seee link. I wouldn't walk away from a fully open vent setting. [p]Happy Thanksgiving[p]Mike
    [ul][li]http://www.eggheadforum.com/wwwboard/messages/448405.shtml[/ul]
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Georgia Dawg,
    If you opened both vents fully you are gonna have big problems soon......the egg will be entirely to hot, if it isn`t already...there have been countless posts regarding vent settings once you put the bird in.....leave em alone....you should put yours back to where you had them when it WAS stabalized and just trust them...."stabalized" means just that...you put a cold hunk of meat in there...naturally the therm is gonna read lower, but you still have a 325° fire burning.....good Luck[p]Wess

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Georgia Dawg,[p]I agree completely with TNW. You have a lot of cold mass sitting very close to your dome thermo stem, and that is giving you a somewhat artificially low reading.[p]Plug on and you'll be fine.[p]If you have any other type thermo, slip it between the gaskets over a leg of the plate setter, and see what that reads.[p]As Mike said, be aware of that fully open vent setting, it can take off and rise in a big hurry.
  • The Naked Whiz,[p]Thanks. That's what I'll do. Just a brief moment of Thanksgiving Day panic as my wife looked at me with that we've got 15 people coming over and you've screwed up the bird look. [p]GDawg
  • Frank (Atlanta)
    Options
    Georgia Dawg,[p]Gee, I can really relate to that look![p]Happy Thanksgiving!