Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first cook...first post...i'm one with you my brothers and sisters!

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Guys,
I am a brand new 'egger' and set up my large today. I've been following the forum and in fact, you folks and the activity on this forum is one of the reasons why I chose the brand.
To break in my egg and get some practice controlling the temperature I cooked a turkey drumstick indirect @ 325 degrees. It was dressed with lots of bge seasoning and I used one soaked apple chunk.
I don't think the smoke lasted long enough although the result was pretty decent considering my non-experience. Any suggesttions? Do you prefer chips onver chunks?
Also, this was a 'practice run' for tomorrow's 'brined' drumsticks and Mr. Toads' loin.
My question is that if I smoke the drumsticks (planning 200 degrees for several hours) can I 'reload' the egg and put on some additional chunks for the loin cook. What is the best way to do this?
All suggestions and insights are welcomed. Thanks.

Comments

• BamaEGG
    BamaEGG Posts: 170
    denpooch, I am pretty new at this as well but I will take a stab at your question. I would say yes you can add more chunks if you want. That being said and maybe some of the vets here can shed more light on this than me, but at 200 degrees and using chunks you might not need to add more.[p]As to how. Just pull out everything you got in the egg and add the chunks. [p]

• BamaEGG,
    I guess that's it. Add more lump (if necessary). Throw in some chunk and increase to 325. Thanks.

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    denpooch,
    For wood for smoke I use what is available to me which tends to be chips. I'm a none soaker when it comes to wood chips too.[p]Load up a good load of lump up to the fire ring at least. Get your fire going. After it is at the temp you want that is when I add the wood. I take the chips and spread them around so as the lump burns you keep igniting chips for smoke.[p]Sure you can add more chips later if you feel the need too.

• We don't soak the chunks or chips... just throw'em on there and let it go.[p]The loin? Deliciouso!!! We have made it many times and it is awesome!![p]Good luck! MY first cook did not turn out so well (see above!) but I'm learning![p]Lisa