Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Marinade advice

Options
WessB
WessB Posts: 6,937
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have got 2 different marinades I need some advice with...I am considering vacuum marinading a turkey with one of these....The first is called " Havana Mojo " I have never had anything called mojo, so I really don`t know what to think this will taste like...any ideas ???? And the second is called "Burgundy pepper" I would assume this is a twist on lemon pepper, highlighting burgundy...Not having a clue about the mojo I would expect the second to be the better choice....Any experience with either of these flavors???[p]Wess

Comments

• Apple
    Apple Posts: 49
    Options
    Hey Wess. Julie and I cook with Mojo all the time. Great stuff. Traditional liquid (there is also a paste version) mojo is a blend of citrus, garlic, hot peppers and spices. Wonderful on poultry and fish. Pour some into a ziploc - you can't use too much - add meat, seal and keep cool for 3-24 hours. The longer it marinates the more intense the flavor. Have fun and enjoy. Steve.
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    We sometimes add some dark rum. JCA

• WessB
    Options
    J Appledog,
    Thanks to both of ya....that sounds like it would be wonderful to do a turkey with..mine is dry that gets combined with water, but the rum idea has some potential also....we stuff our bird with onions, apples, and oranges so Steve` description sounds right in line with my base..[p]Wess

• WessB
    Options
    Apple,
    Steve would you put the heat in line with a jerk seasoning, in particular Julie`s...beacuse that is what I was thinking your description reminded me of...I don`t necessarily want a spicy turkey, but the rest of your description sounds perfect....[p]Wess

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    WessB,
    Do you mind sharing that havana mojo recipe. I love a good mojo!
    Thanx, Molly

Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • WessB
    Options
    cookn biker,
    It`1s not a recipe that I have, it`s a dry marinade that gets mixed with water. As I said, I have never had anything called Mojo so really didn`t know what to expect it to taste like...It will be used in a vacuum tumbler to marinade a turkey....IF....I do end up using that flavor...what would be your description of the flavor of Mojo ???[p]Wess

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    WessB,[p]Out this way we see two mojo's. One mexican style but most common it is the islands and leans mostly to citrus.[p]If I read correctly you picked up a large tumbler, How big of a turkey can you get in it or are you doing parts and or brest?[p]Thanks, Kent
  • Apple
    Apple Posts: 49
    Options
    Wess, Mojo is not anything like jerk. It's not really hot either - more citrus and herbal. Try it on some chicken pieces tonight. Call it a pre turkey test. Steve.
  • WessB
    Options
    Apple,
    Actually the turkey cook is kinda like a pre run for just me and Sally, gonna do the real deal with family at another time..and since I only have enough to do one marinade it`s kinda silly either way.....More based on the fact that I have never vacuumed a turkey before and wanted to try it with my own brine...and thought this might be a good test of the "process" but using some of the marinades samples I got with the machine..[p]Wess

• WessB
    Options
    Grandpas Grub,
    I honestly haven`t tried yet. but we just bought a turkey a little less that 12#...the 20# + bird for the family most likely wont fit....Curiosity got the best of me as I was typing this....I just test fit the 12#er and it had room to spare...the drum is 11" round 11" tall..the tall dimension looks like it might be the limiting factor...if you want info on the machine drop me an E ...[p]Wess

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    WessB,
    I have used only 1 brand of mojo. I get great feedback and really love it. It is a mellow citrus flavor, the longer the marinating time the mo better it is.
    The brand is Goya, mojo criollo. I marinate my whole chickens in it for 3 days beer butt style smoke with hickry and pull apart, to die for. I took that to the comp. I did this summer and the people loved it and came back for more. I have added more heat sometimes wiht cayenne, or fresh squeezed oranges or more garlic, ect. Molly

Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • WessB
    Options
    cookn biker,
    Thanks...I appreciate the description..pretty sure we are gonna give this one a try..[p]Wess

• WessB,[p]Here in florida the cuban influence in cooking has many great mojos in the stores. It is also great on pork. Here is an article Thirdeye wrote a while back that might be of interest. Happy Holidays Make sure you use cuban rum.

[ul][li]http://thecookskitchen.net/2006/12/12/i%e2%80%99ve-got-my-mojo-workin%e2%80%99/[/ul]