Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Getting ready for Turkey using MadMax rec.

Options
Squirrel
Squirrel Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got a question though. How much coal should I need for a 7 hour cook at 325. MadMax talks about filling his up to the top of the fire ring. But, I'm using a XLBGE. I think he documented the turkey on a LBGE? What do ya'lll think. As it sits now, my roasting pan on top of the plate setter, on top of the second ring. Am I on the right track?
Also, do I need a pan of water placed in there as well?[p]Squirrel

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Squirrel,
    i think you are right on track . .. just make sure there is an air gap between the plate setter (use the green feet on your platesetter and the pan on the feet. . .. even with an XL, i'd fill it up good with lump. ..better to have too much than too little. .. .

• Squirrel
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    ok. When you say fill it up, is it ok to add coal above the first ring? I guess we call the first ring the "fire box"?
    Also, to all, I picked up a turkey pan at William Sonoma. 25$. It's telflon coated, but my thinking here is this should be ok since it's acceptable for an oven at the same cooking temps. What do you think?

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    Squirrel,
    I would use one 10 lb bag of lump. I have cooked for 24 hours at 250, 3 hours at 400, and 1 hour at 750 using this same bag in my XL. Three different cooks same bag.[p]Mike