Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

quick help on buttermilk

char buddychar buddy Posts: 562
edited 7:28PM in EggHead Forum
I've decided to soak my chicken wings in buttermilk before doing the Chef R.D. Hot Wings tonight. Problem is I have never done a butter milk soak before. Anybody got any quick advice on what to do? I have 15 to 20 wings and a quart of buttermilk?[p]
·

Comments

• RRPRRP Posts: 15,837
    char buddy, my wifey has been doing the buttermilk soak for years and years before frying chicken and it's just a matter of soaking the chicken pieces. Nothing scientific, and yes it does make a difference.
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • Buttermilk will give it a smoother flavor & tenderize the meat.
    enjoy

·
  • char buddy, Hey,, buttermilk is my invention. Yall keep using it and never even call it K.O.Cbuttermilk. :) Just foolin wid yall. It is a great thing. You saw what it does for my grandmother.:)

·
  • SundownSundown Posts: 2,913
    King-O-Coals,[p]Kin we see dat picture of your Grandma again???! Please!

·
  • Granny.jpg
    <p />Okay, just to prove it,, here is the pic of my grandmother again for you newbies. She is 92 years old now and she uses buttermilk as a morning face wash. JJ always gets mad when I show her, but I understand that he has started washing his face with buttermilk in the morning if no one is watching. :) Just kidding JJ. I know buttermilk is miraculous, but it has it's limitations in rejuvenation abilities.

·
  • char buddy,[p]Thanks to all you helped out a needy ma. I did Chef RD's wings after months of looking at GFW's pics of same. I soaked the 30 drum and winglettes in 2 cups of buttermilk for a couple of hours. [p]I treated the buttermilk soak like a brine. So when the wings came out of the soaks, I rinsed the buttermilk off and dried them. Then I followed the Chef's recipe, which I had to make a milk and egg wash and re-soak the wings briefly before dredging them through the Chef's dry mixture. I am wondering if I can just dredge'em after I take'em out of the first buttermilk soak. [p]I was curious to see what the buttermilk and bread-like crust did to the texture. Would the wings turn out more moist with a nicer texture? Answer. The wings were great. Nice crunchy crust, tender and great texture. I plan on trying this recipe with boneless breasts next time and get the Chef's version of chicken tenders.
    ·
  • char buddy , you rinsed the buttermilk off???? You ruined it. Send them to me after you cook them and I will throw them out for you. :) No, actually the buttermilk on the wings is a slightly thick(runny pancake batter thickness) paste full of seasonings in my method. I just lift them out of the goop and let the excess drip from between my fingers, and throw them on the grill. Of course, I have a small mesh stainless grill surface so they won't fall through. Much easier than placing them individually. Did I mention I can throw peeled, devaned, and seasoned, shrimp on that grate also? Kinda like stir-frying on the grill, or stir-smoking.

·