Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pork loin experiment #289075802

mollyshark
mollyshark Posts: 1,519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've discovered something. Unlses you're doing medallions or skewers, pork tenderloin is just too lean to come out juicy. Maybe someone else can do it, but I give up. Yesterday I took a 4 lb loin, rubbed the outside lightly with Swamp Venom, and cut it about halfway through so it was kind of splayed open. Poured in some of that Fredericksburg Pecan Praline whatever sauce. Tossed some dried cherries and cranberries and whatever was in that bag on top of the sauce. Stuck it on a v-rack over a very small pizza stone sitting on the grid (I was on the small egg). Cooked it at whatever..maybe 375-400 or so..all my thermometers are erratic and I've started cooking by look and feel of the coals. I let it cook until it was about 170 internal. Coulda pulled it earlier, but I was busy. You know what? This simple treatment was, without a doubt, the best pork loin I've had in ages. There was a tiny bit of fat in the loin that you don't find in tenderloins. The pizza stone heat barrier kept it from torching on the bottom and the outside ended up being a tiny bit crispy. Pretty much like you would find some of those Korean ribs. I guess this was from the Swamp Venom.[p]Just wanted to report all this, simple as it is, because I haven't been happy with a pork chop or loin in a long time. I'll try it again and if it is not a fluke, will make one or two at a fest. I think I'll toss one in for Thanksgiving also for the non-turkey types.

Comments

• Golfnut
    Golfnut Posts: 144
    mollyshark,
    170° mmm....

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    mollyshark,
    Tenderloins I've done with a bit better success than you have I guess. You should find a local vineyard and then get John and Joan to come to town to check it out.....and have John cook up some tenderloins for you......his that we had in Omaha were mighty fine.

• Memphis
    Memphis Posts: 144
    mollyshark, I agree with Gadgetman. 170' is aweful high. I cook mine to a soft pink inside. You don't have to cook todays pork to shoe leather like our moms used to do. Keep it whole and cook to about 150

• mollyshark
    Gadgetman,[p]Shoot, it may have been 150 for all know. It was still a tad frozen in the middle when I put them on so there could have been a huge temperature variance between hither and yon. Whatever it was, it was darn good. Tenderloins could never handle a higher temp. Like I said, I'll stick to those for skewering or medallions.[p]mShark
  • mollyshark,
    170 is way too high. you only have to cook port to 139 degrees these days. it will come out medium. I usually cook to 145 deg.[p]M

• mollyshark,[p]I am glad you enjoyed it. It definetly sounds like my kind of cooking. When all else fails the "keep it simple" method may be the best.[p]Mike
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    mollyshark,
    if you cook tenderloins to 170, i'm surprised you can even chew them.[p]140-145 max in this house.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • mollyshark
    stike,[p]Youse guys are missing the point. First of all I wasn't using a thermometer of any sort as I said, so I don't know if these were 170, 190, or 150. The insides were still somewhat frozen when I put them on, so it could have been all of those at once. FERGIT ABOUT THE TEMPERATURE. I've been cookin a loooong time and I know temps. Not the issue here.[p]The issue was with identical treatment of tenderloin vs a whole loin, cooking at same temps and pulling at same temps (whatever they might be), the whole loin was waaaaaay more juicy and tender than the tenderloin. So for fancy stuff with stuffings like a Mr. Toad style or a Chipotle (or chipottle as we say), going to stick to whole loins and will just use tenderloins for skewers or medallions (quick cook stuff).[p]Whew. It may be bloody mary time. 9:48 a.m. Yep.[p]mShark
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    mollyshark,
    sorry. i guess i'm an idiot and missed your point. [p]silly me, when you said it was about 170 i figured it was 'about 170'. why would i assume your guess could be off by 25 degrees?[p]if there's a chance it WAS 170, and you habitually don't use themrometers (queen of the thermapen doesn't use a thermapen??!?!) i'd suggest, toungue in cheek, that you, um, get a thermapen.[p]dry hard pork only turns out like that when it's overcooked.[p]that was my point.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    mollyshark,
    i gave up on tenderloins awhile ago too, no flavor and too difficult to cook with a fat end and skinny end coming off at different temps. these were boneless loin chops cut from a loin, every bit as fancy as a tenderloin cook and all the moisture retention from the added ingrediants like you did with the loin. i dont cook pork chops any more either, would rather have lamb chops, especially those little center cut ones. i bet you would like pork chops again doing what you did with the loin to the chops, alot of combinations out there to moisten them up

[ul][li]pork chops[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • mollyshark
    stike,[p]Just about every chop or tenderloin I've done lately at ANY temp has come out dry. It's like they have so refined the meat not to have any fat that they have also rendered it tasteless. Maybe I just lucked out on this one! Will try again. (sheesh I have a zillion thermapens. Think I coulda used one? LOL).[p]mShark
  • mollyshark,[p]The bad critters in pork are dead at 137f and the (WA) Health department says 145f is safe for pork. Lets me be very clear as people way over cook pork. If I cook a loin to 145F in my restaurant the health department and the customers are HAPPY :)[p]Every loin and tender loin I keep in that range using the Thermapan I bought from Molly comes out juicy and tender. When I goof and go to 170f the loin is ruined in my not humble opinion.[p]Konrad

• mollyshark
    fishlessman,[p]THANK YOU for understanding what I was talking about. No flavor, dry at any temperature. EXACTLY.[p]mShark
  • I shoot up loins and tenderloins with Peach Scnapps or apple juice, apply rub, sear 'em then cook indirect at around 275F or so to 145F internal, then pull them and let them rest. Works fine for me.
    I've found that significantly more done than about 145F makes for mighty dry, tough meat.

• amini1
    amini1 Posts: 105
    mollyshark,[p]I cook tenderloins all the time. Buy "natural" ones, i.e., no sodium solution, and brine them for about one hour. Make a small slit, fold the small end over and tie it. Cook direct at about 375 degrees turning every 5-7 minutes until 140 inside. Take off and foil for 5 minutes or so.[p]Or slice almost all the way through and open like a book. Pound to 1 inch to 1/2 and inch and marinate in something. I like Jerk Seasoning. Grill on high heat for about 3 or 4 minutes each side. I probably cook tenderloins 2 times a week.