Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ping: Mad Max - Stuffing with Turkey?

PhilsGrill
PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have you ever added stuffing to your MMT recipe? I'm going to try it this Thanksgiving but sure would like stuffing. I don't see any issues?[p]Thanks in advance![p]Phil

Comments

• new2egg2,[p]I did a turducken this past spring and was warned not to use any smoke on the stuffed bird, because the stuffing retains a heavy smoke flavor. Bird turned out great.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    new2egg2,
    some find the stuffing gets too smokey... then there are the issues with cooking the bird well past the desired 'done' temps in order to get the stuffing cooked all the way through to the center. the breast meat will be done before the stuffing, and you risk drying it out.[p]some do a little token stuffing in the bird for looks, and the rest done in a casserole dish

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    100_1159.jpg
    <p />new2egg2,
    the issue is that its not safe to cook a bird with stuffing. i cook one every once in a while anyways. the stuffing gets bitter with the smoke but you can get around that if you stitch up the opening. this was a piece of stainless wire i wrapped around a piece of pipe to make the turkey zipper.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • mb168
    mb168 Posts: 265
    new2egg2,[p]"Stuffing is evil". Read this link with the answer from Alton and then make dressing
  • new2egg2[p] Prior to doing a turkey I buy about ten pounds of necks backs and wings. I roast them on the egg in a pan coook for 45 minutes or so. Then add a mirepoix of onions, celery and carrots and roast til the turkey bits are good and brown. Take out a couple of wings and a neck and reserve. Dump the remainder into a stock pot and deglaze the rosting pan with white wine. Add the deglaze and watter and add to the stock pot. Then make a rich stock, simmered for five to six hours.
    Make the stuffing you like. Take an aluminum roasting pan and punch a bunch of holes in the bottom and set inside another aluminum pan with crumpled up foil as spacers and some of the stock. Put the stuffing mix in the pan with the holes with the reserved necks and wings on top and cover with foil. Cook this on another egg or in the oven for a couple of hours at 400. If you like the stuffing crunchy remove the foil. The remainder of the stock can go in the gravy and/or as a soup or stew base.[p]Sorry that got a little long.[p]Steve[p]

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• new2egg2,
    i don't stuff my turkey, because i put all that other stuff in the cavity (i.e. apple, lemon, onion, herbs, and i want the juices to collect in there for basting. . . .[p]i always make my stuffing(or dressing) outside the bird. ..[p]i really like what little steven posted about makind dressing but getting all the benefits of stuffing in the bird. ...i may just try that this year. . ..

• Little Steven,
    thats a really COOL idea!!.... sort of gives you all of the benefits of having done the stuffing in the bird but without the risk, and leaves you the ability to stick all the other stuff in the cavity ala mad max ... .[p]THANKS

• Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Hey Richard,
    We plan on doing a turducken soon....any special hints from the "pro".
    Judy

Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • mad max beyond eggdome,[p]It's your's if you want to include it with your turkey recipe my freind. Cheers to Sydney[p]Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON