Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib Debate: Big Murth or Others

ColoradoCook
ColoradoCook Posts: 152
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Big Murth,[p]To answer your question from Thursday, I'm a little stumped on how I should cook it. I want a rare center which is somewhere around 130 but I saw a post today for rib roast where people are pulling it off at 118 and I don't think it will rise to 130 from 118.[p]On methods, I'm reading that you should roast at 500 and knock down to 300 to 350 after 20 minutes. I did this in an oven for a rib roast last year and it was very good. I believe I pulled it at 125. It was nice and pink, not red. Maybe that 118 makes sense if you want it really bloody.[p]The earlier post today suggested starting out low and roasting at the end (higher temp, that one worries me. I also have to believe that a lot of great juice would be lost.[p]On the prep, I'm going to keep it simple and use a simple kosher salt and ground pepper rub. I'm going lighter on the rub this time, my gravy was too potent for some of the guest. Last year I also put slivers of garlic in the fat cap, that was excellent as well. [p]Unless somewhere here tells me a better way I'm going to settle the egg at 500 (with inverted plate setter and drip pan), roast for 20 minutes to form a nice crust and sealing in the juices, shut dampers down, and dwell until 120 or 125. Temp is the tough part, I'm the type that likes to master something first before trying it out on others.[p]Let us know how your prime rib roast comes out.[p]CC

Comments

• ColoradoCook,
    Alton Brown on Good Eats recently did a show on roasts, and he recommends doing the roast at 200 until the roast reaches 118, then let rest while you heat up the oven to 500 and then roast for 15 minutes. I don't think you will lose the juice doing it slow. My Dad always used to do prime rib roast low and slow and they were always wonderful.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz,[p]Remember that he also said to keep the probe in the meat during the 500 segment to keep juices in. I have a 'blown' probe which I will use to plug the hole.

• ColoradoCook,
    Yup, me too...simple is better and the salt and pepper is probably foolproof--but, I just got my latest supply of Charcrust product, and have a new packet of their RotoRoast. Might be trying that out on this 12lb. beef rib roast (small end) with the bones tied back on, that my friend picked up in the butcher's department of the BX out here at Kirtland AFB. Time and temps are still up in the air--guess I have to pour through my notes(?), and recipes/posts I've printed out. When you say you're going to dampen down the air and dwell to an internal of 125 or so, are you talking about total shutdown, or running the Egg at around 200-250 say, with minimal air top and bottom?
    Let me know bro, and let's hope it snows!!
    Big Murth

• Big Murth,[p]I'll close up the dampers but not let it go down below 300. I have heard a lot about Charcrust but haven't tried it yet.[p]My parents are driving to Denver from Scottsdale, I believe they should be nice and cozy in a hotel in your area right about now. If your cooking something on your Egg tonight they should be close enough to enjoy the aroma.[p]Happy holidays to you and your family.[p]CC
  • ColoradoCook,
    Your folks may have gotten a whiff of some Moran frozen burgers I Egged last night over straight lump, with a dust of Hombres "Smoky Chipotle Beef and Fajita Rub"(good stuff I bought at the last Fiery Foods Show here in Albuquerque).
    I'll do that prime rib roast actually on Tuesday afternoon--if I watch my temps it should be great no matter what I do to it!! Charcrust has some pretty neat stuff, I especially like their Hickory (original recipe) for steaks, Roasted Garlic Peppercorn is awesome on thick-cut lamb chops---the Roto Roast should be a good accompaniement to the PR--has lots of paprika, rosemary, & 12 other spices---I'll probably still slit the outside of the meat and insert some whole cloves of garlic, too.
    have a great Christmas!!
    Big Murth