Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

You know you're an Egger when...

Options
ColoradoCook
ColoradoCook Posts: 152
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had this incredible dream, bordering on nightmare, last night. In the dream I was doing a screaming high temp cook, one of those cooks where the quality of my lump was so good that I had the afterburner, blue flame coming out the top of my Egg. Out of no where some water came gushing off my patio roof and right into the top vent. As I stood there in amazement I starting saying, 'no God, please no.' I open the lid and the whole back of the Egg was blown out. Hey, I have no problem telling the members of this forum that I started to cry in my dream. I'm quite aware at certain points of a dream that this can't be and managed to awake myself. Even though I knew it was a dream, I still double checked the condition of my Egg before leaving for work; she's fine and ready for a prime rib cook this Christmas Eve.[p]Happy Holidays and don't let the Nighteggmares bite,[p]CC

Comments

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    ColoradoCook,[p]I am glad that you were able to wake up in time. I've heard that a bad dream can put a person into shock... and how much worse could any dream get than yours LOL.[p]Jethro
  • Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    ColoradoCook,
    This is what causes a condition called night sweats. Good thing all your dreams don't come true. LOL
    Painter

• Big Murth
    Options
    ColoradoCook,
    Wow, pretty intense imagery there. The only thing lacking was a Pulled Pork Pull between Steve Reeves and an army of young Ann Margaret look-a-likes!! Whoah, dude.
    Since you're in the mood for sharing, and there's more than just you doing a Prime Rib cook this Xmas, how about clueing us in on how you're going to prepare yours. Love to hear your ideas, no matter how bizarre or mundane. I'm doing a 12 pounder Tuesday!! Happy Holidaze,
    Big Murth down South of 'ya

• ColoradoCook
    Options
    Big Murth,[p]I'm a little stumped on how I should cook it. I want a medium rare center which is somewhere around 130 but I saw a post today for rib roast where people are pulling off at 118 and I don't think it will rise to 130 from 118.[p]On methods, I'm reading that you should roast at 500 and knock down to 300 to 350 after 20 minutes. I did this in an oven for a rib roast last year and it was very good. I believe I pulled it at 125. It was nice and pink, not red. Maybe that 118 makes sense if you want it really bloody.[p]The earlier post today suggested starting out low and roasting at the end (higher temp, that one worries me. I also have to believe that a lot of great juice would be lost.[p]On the prep, I'm going to keep it simple and use a simple kosher salt and ground pepper rub. I'm going lighter on the rub this time, my gravy was too potent for some of the guest. Last year I also put slivers of garlic in the fat cap, that was excellent as well. [p]Unless somewhere here tells me a better way I'm going to settle the egg at 500 (with inverted plate setter and drip pan), roast for 20 minutes to form a nice crust and sealing in the juices, shut dampers down, and dwell until 120 or 125. Temp is the tough part, I'm the type that likes to master something first before trying it out on others.[p]Let us know how your prime rib roast comes out.[p]CC