Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first pork butt cook

EggRacer
EggRacer Posts: 400
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been egging for 1 1/2 years and had yet to try a pork butt. I just wasn't looking forward to a low and slow overnighter plus I hadn't seen what I would call a nice looking chunk of pork butt at our local grocery. Well the heavens aligned. I saw a cooking show that cooked up a wonderful looking pork butt in a ceramic cooker in 4 hours and I found a nice looking chunk of pig at the store.[p]I decided to try the 4 hour cook which sounds like heresy the way most everyone here cooks a pork butt. I rubbed it with some Tabasco Chipotle sauce and dusted it with Shaking the Tree. I got the egg up to 330-350, threw in a large handful of Jack Daniels smoking chips and cooked it indirect for four hours. It finished with a beautiful and very flavorful bark, a nice smoke ring, and was a moist pullable consistency.[p]This is a cook I'll do more often if I find some good pork. It's hard to imagine it tasting any better if cooked longer. No pics this time it was destroyed too fast. Now I know why everyone cooks multiple pork butts and does it often.
XLBGE & LBGE
North Richland Hills, TX

Comments

• Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    EggRacer,[p]How much did it weigh?[p]What was the internal temp when you pulled it?[p]I may try this, but most Pork Butts are low and slow and take 15-20 hours..[p]Are you in Texas? I already stocked up, but I'm going back to Central market for more - Birkshire Pork Shoulder, bone in, $2 off = $1.49 per pound.[p]I plan on doing two of them this weekend. Your's sounds good... What I don't like is a HARD bark, especially when pulling the pork. Some suggest cutting the bark off first so it pulls better.[p]-Jeeves
  • BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    EggRacer,[p]That is the best thing about cooking - do it the way you like.
  • EggRacer
    Jeeves,[p]It weighed right at 5 lbs and was 185 to 190 when pulled off the grill. I found this one at Tom Thumb and yes, I am in North Richland Hills, Texas (DFW metromess). The bark may be a bit harder than you like but it wasn't extremely hard or dried out. You might try it at 300-325 for just a while longer. Think I'll experiment a bit more myself with time and temp although I really liked the results on this one.[p]Looks like I need to look at Central Market in Southlake. I just don't get over there that often. Tom Thumb usually has 2 to 4 pounders that have too much fat or too large a bone. Finding a nice sized one with the right amount of fat and bone is difficult.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • EggRacer
    BurntRaw,[p]I'm still just amazed at how versatile the Egg is for cooking. It's dang near impossible to screw up anything although I did once. There are so many different things you can cook and many different variations if you like being adventurous.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    013459-08292-3.JPG
    <p />EggRacer,[p]Looks like I'm going to Central market after work today. I can't stand the gunk that is left on the grid after doing a butt of a brisket.[p]For the butts, i'm going to try a silicone roast rack. They have these online, at some kitchen stores, and Central Market. There is an oval one and a rectangular one. Clean-up will be a breeze after roasting them directly in a drip pan.

• EggRacer,
    I never get that hard bark like the others. Mine are not even black like some of the pics I see here. I usually pull mine half way through a cook and wrap them in foil and finish that way. It seems to help them finish quicker. They still stay juicy and the ends are no burnt then say a medium rare steak.