Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

buying an egg

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been reading all the comments about the "Egg", and it sounds like a wonderful thing to own. Only thing it sounds complicated to learn to operate. Any input? Would appreciate all comments before i venture out and buy one.
THANKS All

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Betty J. A., let's see...
    falling off a log - 1 point
    boiling water - 2 points (because you have to use a pan)
    buying a knock off BGE - Minus 20 points and go to the back of the line!
    buying a Big Green Egg - WOW! you're in for something BIG! Seriously, email us for any other questions...and no, we have no potential monetary gain for getting you into our family!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • WudEyeDoo
    Options
    Betty J. A.,
    There is a bit of a learning curve involved, however you will have a blast in the process by applying what you can learn by using this forum. This forum will help you through any questions you may have.[p]Take the plunge, you will not regret it...especially if you like good food! [p]Bob

• Betty J. A.,[p]Do it, do it, do it!!!! I have a large BGE and a small BGE....nothing AT ALL like them! Here in VT is was in the 50's yesterday and I used that opportunity to haul my small egg up to a friends house and cook up some boneless chicken and some NY strip steak.......it was awesome!! When, not if, you get one, use this forum as it is great for learning. I unfortunately did not use the forum soon enough and spent a few frustrated months trying to figure things out on my own. My advice when you get started is use the forum, ignore the recipes in the manual (in fact, I threw mine out) and write things down. I keep a "log" of what I do and if the cooking is not good, I refer to it and make changes the next time I try the recipe. There are great people here and a ton of great ideas, photos and stories. In fact, I'll be posting a "help me" question right after this is sent our looking for ideas for a roast for dinner tomorrow!! Good luck and you will not regret purchasing an egg!!
  • Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Betty J. A.,[p]Temperature control is the main aspect that you might have a learning curve with the Egg. This is neither difficult nor take a long time. You just have to get a few cooks under your belt, pay attention to how the vent and daisy wheel affect airflow and your world to smoking, grilling, baking, and stir frying foods will be limitless.[p]After you purchase your Egg, start off with some foods that you have cooked before. Give yourself a layup or two before moving onto to recipes that you're itching to try. As the previous posters have offered, the Forum is an excellent source for information, help, recipes, and good natured chatter. The recipe book that comes with the purchase of an Egg is old and stale, and does not incorporate the years of experience and many insights that the Forum members provide here.[p]If your budget allows, and as long as you think its a good value, buy the large Egg. It has the most capacity and is versatile enough to do anything possible in the Egg.[p]Best of luck,
    Puj

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Tom D.,[p]You have offered some 'good stuff'. Only thing you need to emphasize it THROW THE DANG BOOK AWAY THAT COMES WITH MR EGG!!!
    Keeping a log is another thing we don't talk too much about on the forum but has been a big help to me and I've been cooking for two and a half years now and I've been with the forum since day one. Great way to compare and make small changes after 100's of cooks my book is overflowing with notes. Betty JA buy what you can afford then start saving for your next Egg because you will consider another one ....soon.
    Welcome and visit often,[p]Carey

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Betty J. A.,
    Like others have said, there's a learning curve with the Egg, just like any other new product. But, the egg is very forgiving and easy to learn. The worst that can happen is you have to cook more meals on it to get it perfect. And a less than perfect cook on the egg is almost always as good or better than on other grills. Short answer is, if you enjoy grilling/smoking, buy the egg.
    There's plenty of quick, friendly, helpful advice at your fingertips from both very experienced and new egg owners so you won't feel lost if you have a question.

• Kelly Keefe
    Options
    Betty J. A.,
    Whatever you do, do NOT buy an Egg! I can’t stress that strongly enough. Oh sure, it starts out innocent. You buy a large, a locking hinge, a daisy wheel slider top. Maybe a nest. Perhaps the side tables. But then you HAVE to have a plate setter and a polder style thermometer. Next is a pizza stone. Then a Chicken Setter. Never mind the petty items like a grid gripper and an ash tool! Eventually you’ll find yourself hanging out at Lowe’s eyeing Rubbermade storage chests as you realize you need a place to store your lump and “toys”. And while we’re on the subject of space – you’ll soon find all your kitchen cabinets full of spices for rubs and marinades. Eventually you’ll find yourself mumbling about the advantages/disadvantages of various types of “lump” and the undeniable need for a digital camera. And ONE Egg will not be enough – you NEED TWO or MORE!! No my friend, DO NOT buy an Egg![p]I’m being factious, of course. Buying an Egg was the second best money I’ve ever spent. (The first was our wedding rings! However I will admit that the Egg might, just might mind you, drop to #3 when the snow eventually starts flying and I fire up Mr. Snow Thrower - but only for a minute!) And despite what you may believe, it’s not that hard to learn to use. In fact, I’d argue that it’s the easiest grill to learn to use, and use well. Unless of course you just like to cook hamburgers and hot dogs. Plus you get all these unbelievably knowledgeable, imaginative and friendly people here on the forum to help you over any hurdles![p]My advice: GO FOR IT!![p]

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    toolshack.jpg
    <p />Kelly Keefe,
    I know what you mean.
    Larry

[ul][li]Egg Toys[/ul]
  • Dave
    Dave Posts: 163
    Options
    Betty J. A.,[p]...and Everyone Else,[p]I'm about to take the plunge. In fact, tomorrow I'm getting a store in Santa Rosa to send a large BGE up from the San Diego shipping center. I've been researching this purchase for *weeks* and I'm doing it. There'll be some extra shipping expense to get it to Northern California. For some reason there seem to be lots of Eggs around S.F. and then again up in Oregon and Washington--but just try to find a dealer in between!!!![p]I've smoked for years with a plain Weber grill. Always wanted a smoker and thought I'd get a bullett when the time came, but as I started researching things on the web, I came around to the BGE. The camaraderie and expertise on this Forum is a major factor in my decision. When you find product loyalty like this, you know something's up. It's a terrific site. These people really help one another out![p]So I'm going for it. Hope I can get it up here before Christmas. CanNOT wait!!![p]
  • Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Dave,[p]Go get'em guy and welcome. You'll have a blast.[p]Puj
  • WudEyeDoo
    Options
    Ataboy, Dave![p]You will love it! You are about to make a great investment in not only good food but also good fun. Welcome to the forum. [p]Like Kelly Keefe was saying, be ready for an ever expanding Christmas wish list once you see the possibilities! Oh well, that's part of the fun.[p]Bob

• Betty J. A.,[p]Hi, nothing difficult about using the BGE at all. In fact... it is the easiest BBQ/Smoker I have ever used. Oh, and I have had them all. Briquette, gas, electric, Kettles, water smokers, and none have been anywhere near as easy or forgiving to use. I just wish I had bought one sooner :)[p]It has a small learning curve... a certain personality all it's own... but so does everything in life. [p]I could not recommend a product more highly :)
    You will not regret it. Take care.. BB