Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Mini from Eggtoberfest

Options
UGAVET
UGAVET Posts: 577
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, I just got my mini from last saturday that we picked up after the event and i am itching to get something cooked on it. I have a couple of ribeyes that are begging to get TRex'd but am a little nervous to crank it up that high although i dont recall seeing any posts on melted gasket on a mini. Guess i should use the same caution with him that i have used with his other 3 family members. Of course if im gonna melt my first gasket, the mini would be the one to do it on for my first repair.

Comments

• Cobbegger
    Options
    ugavet,
    When I got my mini a few months ago, I read somewhere not to crank it up over 400 degrees for the first 3 or 4 cooks to let the glue get good and baked on. That's what I did and have had no problems.

• UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    Options
    Cobbegger,
    Thats what i have done with my other 3 eggs and knew that was probably the case but when you constantly read about how quick you can get the little guy nuclear its hard to resist.

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    ugavet,
    Sear them on your small then roast them in the mini. -RP

• citychicken
    Options
    i have had my mini for just a few weeks, and like you a bit antsy to get things goin'. sooooo, i assembled it the first evening, loaded it to the top of the firebox with lump, and then let her rip. well not actually. i kept it throttled down. did a low and slow. (slow? hmmmm well nothing was actually cookin) let it heat up to 250 and let it go 'till the lump burned out. that was at least 6 hours. went to bed and the dome temp was still at 250. next evening did two trexed steaks. all is swell with the gasket. [p]good luck with the mini. i love mine. i think it is really the most unappreciated and most misunderstood egg of all