Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

anybody have a favorite store bought cranberry chutent that they use with turkey:):) or one you can

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i looove turky and love cranberry sauce and cranberry chutneys. just curious what everybodies favorites are

Comments

• Jason Upton ,[p]If you substitute cranberries for mangos it will work. I have been known to add some pineapple chunks and coconut flakes.[p]Enjoy![p]Chutney, Mango, 2001, Richard

It’s the time of year when that dreaded malady, “Mango Madness”, afflicts many who live in proximity to Merritt Island. Mangoes are everywhere and they’re dirt cheap so it’s time to enjoy the many ways this luscious fruit can be prepared. The versatility of the mango has resulted in literally dozens of uses for its flesh but one of the most basic and oldest recipes is that for Mango Chutney. Mango Chutney has long been a staple as a condiment for curry dishes but it is a wonderful accompaniment to most meats, seafood or fowl. In previous columns, we’ve done Mango Daquiris, Mango Daquiri Pie and a Mango Salsa garnish, each recipe requiring only one mango. This week’s recipe will help make a dent in this season’s bumper crop of mangoes. Perhaps the worst case of “Mango Madness” befell my friend Richard of Melbourne Beach who returned from Merritt Island with several bushels of both ripe and green mangoes and the look of a mad scientist on a mission. As it turns out, it was just an excuse to throw a party. On a recent Sunday, with several friends in attendance, he offered Mango Daquiris, Mango Salsa with a variety of chips, mango and strawberries with Amaretto and six gallons (!) of Mango Chutney. Guests were treated to a jar of chutney to take home in remembrance of the occasion. I’ve pared the recipe down to workable quantities that should yield 4-5 pints of finished chutney. Home canners can, of course, put up larger amounts to keep but those who don’t want to go to the trouble can safely refrigerate the chutney for some time.
    [p]Ingredients
    9 cups chopped mango--mature but not ripe
    1 cup cider vinegar
    1/2 cup lemon or lime juice
    2 cups light brown sugar
    2 cups white sugar
    2 cups chopped white onion
    3/4 cup golden raisens
    3/4 cup currents
    3/4 cup chopped red or green pepper
    1 Tbs chopped garlic
    1 Tbs grated fresh ginger
    1 tsp curry powder
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp ground cloves
    1 tsp red pepper flakes (if a bit hotter chutney is desired)

Preparation
    1 Over medium heat, dissolve the sugars in the vinegar and juice, stirring often. Increase heat, add remaining ingredients in order and bring to a slow boil. Reduce heat and simmer mixture for 45 minutes to an hour. Remember to stir often throughout the process to prevent sticking or burning. Set aside and allow to cool. Place in airtight containers and refrigerate.

Recipe Type
    Condiment

Recipe Source
    Author: Richard Howe, ' 77[p]Source: Richard Howe[p]This is a copy of a newspaper article run in "Florida Today" back on the summer of '01, as a result of a mango madness party I had for 20+ people. The original recipe had a 2-5 gallon commercial pots cooking for 12 hours with lots of stirring to keep from sticking. Had to reduce the portions for the average home small batch cook!