Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Help with Cooking a Lean Roast

ColoradoCookColoradoCook Posts: 150
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a fresh from the ranch roast to cook. I was given some not so desirable cuts of meat from my sister's meat locker. She felt I could make them taste better on the egg. She may be right but I'll need the help of the many experts here.[p]This is the cut:[p]Heel of Round Roast: ROUND Least tender Round cut. Contains thick connective tissue and ends of top round, bottom round and eye of round muscles. Bone-less wedge-shaped. Alias Pikes Peak Roast.[p]Further investigation:[p]bottom round Notes: The bottom round is usually divided into two smaller cuts: the bottom round roast and the rump roast. [p]bottom round roast Notes: These roasts are cut from the bottom round. Some people roast them in the oven, but they're a bit tough and work better as pot roasts. Substitutes: rump roast OR arm roast OR shoulder roast[p]eye round roast = eye of the round Notes: This boneless roast looks like a choice tenderloin, but it's much tougher. It's best to cook it very slowly using moist heat. A steak cut from this roast is an eye round steak. Substitutes: rump roast[p]It would appear that I either cook this as a pot roast or the moist heat of the Egg might also work. Any suggestions?[p]Thank you,[p]CC[p]

Comments

• SpinSpin Posts: 1,375
    ColoradoCook,[p]I occasionally get farm raised pork and find that it consistantly has proven to cook much differently than the commercially available variety. The meat has marbling and likes a hotter longer cook than would generally be considered reasonable for the cut.[p]I am not sure of the marbling in your meat or the size of the roast. If it is a rather large one, you could separate the different muscles and cook them individually.[p]Your cut sounds to be a fun challenge to cook.[p]Spin
  • ColoradoCook,[p]Tough meat that is slow cooked tends to become tender. I don't know how far to push this principle, but in general it works well.[p]Lean meat can be kept moist by wrapping in foil to keep the juices in. I have read on this forum that most of the smoking takes place under 140 degrees. I have no reason to doubt this information. I have taken meat and smoked it until this point and then wrapped in foil to finish. I have finished in the BGE and in the oven and after being wrapped it makes not difference.[p]I would therefore take the cut and put a dry rub on it and put on the grill at about 250 for 5 hours or until the meat temp gets near 140. I would then wrap it in foil and put in the oven (cheaper than lump) at 350 until the meat temp is 180 if cut or 200 if pulled. I might use a marinate in the foil to enhance flavor and add moisture, but my experience has been that the foil keeps the meat moist. With venison I have added marinate to retain moisture, but even with that lean of meat I don't belive it is necessary.[p]You got my 2 cents worth, a bargain for what you paid! Hope this helps.[p]Buckeye Bill