Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

how do i smoke it? deer meat - hind quarter

pipedreampipedream Posts: 58
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i am thinking i should treat it like a butt or brisket. rub it, then smoke it indirect. but i do no want to dry it out. should it be marinated? lay bacon across it? any advice on how to smoke it will be appreciated - thanks
·

Comments

• Big'unBig'un Posts: 5,909
    pipedream,
    What kind of weight are we talking about?

·
  • ArtieQArtieQ Posts: 65
    pipedream,
    Bone in or out?

·
  • Wise OneWise One Posts: 2,645
    pipedream, take the bone out. Splay it out and make it as flat as possible. Cover it with some good Greek seasoning, feta cheese and spinach. Roll it back up and tie with butcher twine. Cook it direct at 325 turning a 1/4 turn every 15 minutes until you get to 135-140. Let it rest for 5-10 minutes and slice.

·
  • pipedream,[p]I do mine indirect @ 300 over a drip pan filled with red wine. Cook till internal temp of 160 and I have a buddy that does wrap in bacon (I haven't done the bacon yet).
    ·