Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with temperature

Options
Tony
Tony Posts: 224
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For some reason I can't seem to get the temperature of my egg above 500 degrees. I don't understand what I am doing wrong. I've noticed posts here that speak of thousand degree temps. I am interested in high heat cooking methods and 1000º seems unfathomable. PLEASE HELP!

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Tony,[p]1. Make sure you have enough lump. At a minimum fill it to the top of the firebox.[p]2. Make sure the firebox opening is lined up with the bottom draft vent.[p]3. Remove the daisy top. Don't just open it but take it of completely.[p]4. Beware of flashbacks at high temps.
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Tony,
    Has this always been a problem? If so you might what to check the alignment of the firebox with the lower vent. Also check to see if the holes in the FB are cloogged with dust/ash. Clean as necessary.[p]On to fire building. I have used multiple ways to reach nuke temps. First start with a thin layer of large lump pieces right on the fire grate. Light this lump in numerous places and allow it to get fairly established. Then place more lump on top of these established pieces. fill all the way up to top of firebox or even higher. Keep your bottom vent wide open and take off the daisy wheel. [p]Second way I have used with success. If your egg has a lot of unused lump left in it move most of the lump to one side of the egg. Light some of the bottom pieces, once they get established (approx 5-10 min) cover these pieces with the lump stacked up on the side. Again no daisy wide open vent. [p]By placing your lit lump on the bottom of your pile the heat transfer up will ignite more pieces. Once you reach 500 deg F and you still want higher temps, then open Egg CAREFULLY (flashback). Stir lump around and add more. In twenty minutes or so you will have a fire that you should be very scared of. If you don't then you may have something wrong with your lump. Get a different bag and try again.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Tony,
    forget the "handful of lump" thing in the manual. load it to the top of the firebox. for high heat, use newer lump, and (ideally) the bigger chunks, especially at bottom, for better airflow.[p]no daisywheel, bottom wide open. don't wander off. nuke temps aren't made for "i'll just go in and see what the score is".[p]light in 2 or three spots and SHUT THE DOME. some time with the dome open while the starters are flaming is ok. but if you want serious temp, you need to restrict airflow from the bottom vent thru the top vent.[p]1000 degrees isn't anything you should be aiming for as a new owner. that's for a diehard 'perfect-pizza' chaser, who rigs his egg with special equipment he's put together.[p]sometimes, agreed, the temp is "for show". you can cook great steaks at 650. but 90 seconds a side at 850/900 will always get "ooooohs" and "aaaahs" from guests.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • duckegg
    duckegg Posts: 267
    Options
    Tony,
    Make sure you don't have a lot of little pieces of lump clogging up the air holes in your bottom grate. It's all about getting enough air. Keep the top open, no daisy wheel. If you are using reasonable lump you should be rolling in 15-20 min.