Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

X-mas cheer???

Options
Bordello
Bordello Posts: 5,926
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, 'tis the season for hot eggnog and brandy or hot buttered rum, anyone ever heat em on the egg????????????? Now, am I think or what???
New Bob

Comments

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    New Bob,
    It is just my opinion, but I do not think that heating up Hot Buttered Rum on the egg would add anything. In fact, you risk loosing the most important ingredient (alcohol) in those drinks due to its lower boiling point. The only heated ingredient that I know of is water. But what the heck boil some water on the egg and see what you get.[p]In fact I just made a batch of Hot Buttered Rhum last night. It went well with the slice of Sweet Potato Pie that my wife made.[p]Here is the recipe,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

[ul][li]Hot Buttered Rhum[/ul]
  • RhumAndJerk,[p]That looks great and I've saved the recipe to try, some snowy night soon. I like the idea of the freshly grated nutmeg on top, too.

What is the significance of the occasional "h" in "Rhum"? [p]Lee

• Bordello
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    I know, I'm stretching it. *grin*
    Maybe just heat the water and rum mix or eggnog slowly, then remove and add the most important ingredients (rum/brandy and whatever else, at least we won't waste the good stuff. I too like your recipe from the link, thanks.
    Now we can combat the cold weather.
    Happy Egg-n,
    New Bob

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    QSis,
    It is merely a different spelling of the word Rum. Rums that are produced in countries with a heavy French influence, like Martinique, would spell Rum as Rhum. In Spanish it is Ron.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk

• Citizen Q
    Options
    New Bob,
    Personally, I prefer my alcohol cold, but for a little bit of added warmth out there on the patio with my Q, I set up an old cast iron Franklin stove right by the Egg.
    This thing is old, my Dad pulled it out of my grandmother's cellar over 25 years ago and it was old then. It's got a serial number plate from Sears & Roebuck but also has Simpson-Sears as the Canadian outlet for this model, so if any of our Canadian friends remember how long ago they went under that name, it might give me a better time frame. Anyway, my dad was gonna toss it last year, so I grabbed it to hook up in my cellar for emergency heat, but never got around to getting the flue pipe and permits to do it, so it sat next to the bulkhead with my BGE cover over it until I came across it while raking the leaves last week. The wife wasn't around so I dragged it out and rigged up the one 3' length of stove pipe that I had on hand and fired it up. To my surprise, she loved it when she got home and can't wait to use it as a planter in the spring.
    Only problem is that when the fire is roaring, the flames shoot right out the stove pipe, so to help knock down any burning cinders that might burn down the neighborhood, I stuck my charcoal chimney on top. Not only does keep any cinders down, but it fires up the charcoal pretty darnn fast too.
    I also used the stove this weekend to hold the steel coal pan for my camp dutch oven while I cooked an etouffee, and then to keep the pot warm while waiting for the brisket and pulled pork finishing up on the Egg. After dinner, we couldn't get the guests to come inside as it was so cozy around that stove. I think the neighbors were too envious to get P/O'd at all the noise though, at least I haven't heard any complaints yet.
    I am actually looking forward now to the first blizzard to come along and knock out the power for a couple of days so that I can stand out there cooking bacon and eggs for breakfast on the stove while dinner slowly smokes on the Egg, and the neighbors drag their kids toboggans 5 miles down to the supermarket for powdered milk and Cheerios. Ohh, you're right, it is the Christmas season, so I'll be cheerful about it and invite them over to lick the spoon clean of pancake batter.

• Bordello
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    LOL,
    So, are you Ron,Rhum or just like to drink "Rum"
    Happy Egg-n and "Rum-n" 'tis the season.
    New Bob

• Bordello
    Options
    Citizen Q,
    Sounds like you're having a great time. Congratulations with the new "old" stove. Do you have a generator to really make your neighbors envious when the power is out?????
    A good day to ya,
    New Bob

• Citizen Q
    Options
    New Bob,
    Actually, I'm the po' boy in my neighborhood, the people who don't spend the winter on Marco Island all have the automatic generators that kick in at the first interruption of electricity. They've lived here alot longer and have first hand experience of what it's like to wait for Cape Cod utilities to get to work when the weather hits. NSTAR likes to give a storm 3 or 4 extra days to make sure that it doesn't turn around and hit us again, and charges us more for the priviledge of being their customers.

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    New Bob,
    My last name is French and I like to collect and drink rum, hence the spelling of Rhum. I also like to cook Jerk Pork. All this leads to RhumAndJerk.[p]Happy Smoking,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    I will agree with you Michael...You are a good cook and drinker.
    Larry

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    YB,
    Thank you.[p]I am guilty as charged in all 58 States.
    R&J[p]

• Bordello
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    O.K. Mr. Rhum, I thank you for the explanation. Hope the rum tasting goes well through out the year. I will have some in your honor over the holidays.
    Happy Hot buttered Rum to ya,
    New Bob

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    AYE, Mybe we be callin' ya CAPATAIN JACK.