Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turducken

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thinking about a turducken as the "option" to the regular turkey this Thanksgiving. I've found some good recipes for stuffing, etc. and I'm pretty good with a knife so breakdown and assembly shouldnt be a problem. Question is should I do it on the egg or should I do it in the oven? What temp? low and slow or 350 ish? how long? thanks for the help.

Comments

• Saucehog
    Options
    goldencoop,
    THe following link is how we generally prepare the birds..it is excellent, especially with the sweet potato eggplant gravy.[p]http://www.chefpaul.com/turducken.html[p]I assume you could use the egg. we are going to try this year.

[ul][li]Saucehog[/ul]
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Saucehog, you guys look for an eMail.

• irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    Options
    goldencoop,
    I have cooked turducken 3 times in the egg, and each time has been an improvement on the previous. I cook indirect at 350 and the last one took about 4 hours. The turkey started at 16 pounds, but I did not weigh the finished combination. I used 2 chickens and 1 duck in the filling, and Irish sausage meat with flavourings for the stuffing. I have had problems previously using bread based stuffings, and the heat not conducting through the stuffing, which acted alsmost as an insulator. This resulted in under cooked areas in the middle of the birds.
    I would highly recommend cooking on the egg, the end product is succulent and as smokey as you want it.
    Roger