Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost Halloween and if you’re cooking on your EGG, you may end up with more people knocking on your door asking for pork chops than candy! In case you’re willing to share and want to please a crowd, we recommend warm Margherita Pizza, FGL’s Lemon Pepper Wings or our favorite, S’mores in a Cone!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Butt-Therm placement?

JasonJason Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

Does anyone have any pics of correct thermometer placement on a bone in boston butt? The first one I cooked I think I was too close to the bone - woke up in the am with a meat temp reading of over 300 degrees - checked it with a fork style thermometer and got 180 degrees.[p]Thanks in advance.[p]Jason

Comments

• BENTEBENTE Posts: 8,337
    Jason,
    not sure if it was right butt worked for me
    DSCN0336.jpg
    this one here might be better
    DSCN0084.jpg[p]
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    41bd29d7.jpg
    <p />Jason,[p]You are right, a bone or fat pocket will throw off your thermometer reading. This picture is of some steaks I cut from a butt, so is shows the relationship of the blade or "Y" bone and all of the muscles. The bone side of the butt is a good reference and if you cook them fat side down, the bone will be nearest the grate.[p]I try to shoot for that larger, egg shaped muscle just to the right from dead center in the picture, sticking halfway between the bone and the fat cap. Make sure your probe is in a good 2" at least. [p]Of course, the bone is an excellent thermometer on it's own. When you can wiggle it and it will slip free and clean, your butt is ready.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery