Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Problems with the Egg and winter?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I live in South Dakota. Just got the egg this summer and it is better than the salesmen said it would be. I am curious if anyone has had problems leaving the BGE outside during the winter? Is it safe to use it when it is cold? It dips below 0 frequently where I live.

Comments

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    123922974-L.jpg
    <p />Q-Train,[p]I use mine a lot in the winter....[p]This picture was taken when it was 12 deg outside...[p]The egg will do great in the winter...
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Q-Train,
    Try to make a conscious effort to always leave some lump in the egg when you are done cooking...so WHEN it freezes shut you can just use a starter cube to heat it up enough to get it open again.[p]Wess

• eggfoot
    eggfoot Posts: 138
    Options
    Q-Train, my favorite time to cook is when it is real cold out. You be fine at any temp.

• billt
    billt Posts: 225
    Options
    Q-Train,
    leave it outside, it will be fine. if you bring it inside people will 'talk'. also my feet get cold when i use the egg in the winter.
    seriously, nothing better than the smell of a meat and lump on a cold night

• Mopar400
    Options
    100_2271.jpg
    <p />Q-Train,
    Let it snow let snow let it snow[p]Its great insulating value is one of the main reasons I bought mine.
    I've cooked when it was 5 below no problem.[p]Bob

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC01171aa.jpg
    <p />Q-Train,[p]No problem during Wyoming winters. I figure....if you can find your Egg, you can cook on it.[p]DSC01916.jpg[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • billt
    billt Posts: 225
    Options
    thirdeye,
    their names are??
    beldar and prymaat conehead?

• thirdeye
    Options
    bill,[p]Heheeee, they resemble that. And they love mass quantities.[p]Nicknames are Fat Man & Little Boy.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]Was the date correct on that lower picture? Nice early April Storm. What part of WY are you. I am near SLC.[p]Next week is Turkey Test #2 for me. I need to cut back a little on the wine. Good for basting but a little strong in the gravy.[p]Again, thanks for your help with the first bird.[p]Kent
  • thirdeye,
    "Fat Man and Little Boy...?"[p]You must make some fantastique "Atomic" Buffalo Turds![p]~ B[p]

• thirdeye
    Options
    Grandpas Grub,[p]Yes, that storm was in March. It was a good one. I live in Casper.[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye,[p]Aha![p]Are you a Troopers fan?[p]What a corps! -- back in the 70s... when I was with Osage...[p]Driving bus in Casper [for the corps], back before the interstate was completed, I got completely lost! Had to turn around, and the other buses had to wait for me. I think that was the day I sideswiped one of your t-phone poles...[p]~ B[p]

• thirdeye
    Options
    DSC01122a.jpg
    <p />Broc, just across the Muddy Mo from Omaha,[p]You could say I've made a few modifications.....[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye
    Options
    Broc, just across the Muddy Mo from Omaha,[p]Sure, the Troopers performed at many events during the year. They practiced in the afternoons in the football field where I went to high school, the same school **** and Lynne graduated from.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]I have made traveled to and throuh Cheynne a lot of times but never to Casper.[p]That road is a tough bird during the winter and have had to stop several times due to wind/weather/snow.[p]Kent