Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

drip pan for turkey?

RandyRandy Posts: 28
edited 2:12PM in EggHead Forum
I'm going to try the turkey thing this year. Should I put a drip pan under the vertical roaster? How??? Thanks.
·

Comments

• SpinSpin Posts: 1,375
    Randy,[p]I use a foil lined metal pie pan just big enough to fit the base of the vertcal sitter into. I tend to use 250-275°F cooking temperatures for the bird and this setup provides good air circulation for the cook.[p]Spin
    ·
  • JimEJimE Posts: 158
    Spin,
    Indirect?

·
    Jim,[p]Since the drip pan is present (even minimally), this is an indirect cook. I use no firebrick, pizza stones, ect. for this cook - just the drip pan. Air circulation is even cooking.[p]Spin[p][p]
    ·
  • Randy,
    Doing an 18lb. bird. Does this mean my upside down plate setter that holds the drip pan is an OK set-up for a 300-325 degree cook? Last minute jitters here, that's all. God, and to think I pulled off a great turkey cook on my old
    $29 water smoker before I got Egged. Guess it's show time again! Big Murth

·
  • JimEJimE Posts: 158
    Spin,
    Won't the late overflow?

·
  • JJJJ Posts: 951
    Big Murth,
    Yep, the upside down plate setter with a drp pan is OK. That is what I use and I cook my bird at 350* for 15 min per pd. Been doing that method on the EGG for going on 24 years with great results.

·
    Jim,[p]The pie pan has 2" high sides and the drippings tend to reduce as they are collected. Even starting with a quartered apple, a quartered onion, and a quartered orange stuffed in the pan (along with part of a favored beverage - it was favored ;-)), I have never come close to an overflow.[p]The drip pan end result is not something worth attempting turning into gravy.[p]Spin
    ·