Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Turkey, Fresh or Frozen?

I'm a new BGE owner and will be smokin' my 1st turkey this week. What's best, fresh or frozen? I know the butterballs are injected with vegetable broth, I'm guessing that would help keep the bird more moist. I appreciate your suggestions.

Comments

• ShelbyShelby Posts: 803
    Tarheel Tom,
    I've always done frozen and have great results. One of these days, I'm gonna have to find a source for a fresh turkey. But for this year, there's a 21.5 pound bird defrosting in my refrig right now. Another thing on the to cook list...a turducen.

• I'm doing a fresh one. They are on sale this week at one of the local supermarkets. I picked up a 12 pounder. Usually I smoke a smaller turkey, and my mother roasts a monstourous one. Guess which one gets eaten quicker? :)

• BordelloBordello Posts: 5,926
    BluesnBBQ,
    Maybe you need to do the large one and let your mother do the small one. *grin*
    Happy "T" day,
    New Bob

• Shelby,[p]While doing a search on turducken a few months back, I ran across this recipe. I couldn't help but think "If only there was an egg big enough"![p]LOL, maybe someone else will find this as funny as I did.[p]Kevin

[ul][li]We need a larger egg![/ul]