Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

How are you going to do that T-day bird?

Trout BumTrout Bum Posts: 343
edited 4:57AM in EggHead Forum
I'm getting a fresh 12-14 lb. turkey. Now I have to decide how to cook it.
Should it be vertical or horizontal? Beer butt or not, etc., etc.
What are the rest of you doing?
B D

·

Comments

• Big Daddy,
    Check out the thread below "Suggestions for 25lb Turkey?"
    The collective input gave me some great ideas.
    Happy Cookin' -K

·
  • MarvinMarvin Posts: 515
    Big Daddy,
    We have the same size turkeys. Since you are my neighbor, here are the details: brine for 24 hours; rub for under skin, on skin and in cavity; rest in frig for 24 more hours uncovered; on bird sitter or v-rack, each over a drip pan, smoke over applewood chips as temp rises from 160-325, cook at 325 deg until breast is 170-175 (or thigh is 160); rest for 20-30 minutes; eat!
    Enjoy,
    Marvin

·
  • Marvin,_The purpose of resting the turkey after brining is?
    ·
  • Taste Bud,
    I belive that letting the bird set uncovered is to let the skin dry a bit.
    This allows the skin to brown better.
    There may be other reasons that I don't know about.[p]GaryJ

·
  • ShelbyShelby Posts: 803
    Big Daddy,
    I'll inject mine with a mixture of brooth/butter/seasonings. Season under the skin, rub outside with light coating of oil and season it as well; let sit overnight.[p]Indirect @ 350* with drip pan on plate setter, turkey laying flat on the grill, figuring on 12 mins per pound.

·
  • MarvinMarvin Posts: 515
    Taste Bud,
    Letting it sit, uncovered, dries out the skin and allows for increased crispness. Enjoy, Marvin

·
  • SpinSpin Posts: 1,375
    Big Daddy,[p]I'm planning a 12-14 lb bird stuffed under the skin with a mixture of herbs, diced celery, diced bacon, and diced onion. Cooked on a spantek vertical wire sitter over a foil lined drip pan with chopped onion, and chopped oranges with some wine (haven't decided on red or white). Smoke hard and early (160°F) using apple and level off at 250°F for the cook.[p]Spin
    ·
  • Big Daddy,[p]
    I'm doing an 11 pound, fresh bird from an amish market up the road. I'm thinking of doing that recipe J. Appledog did for a contest a while back. [p]C-B.

·