Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shoulder Vs. Butt .. Help

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have cooked many boston butt pork roasts in my medium egg with much success. This weekend I have a party planned & pulled pork is on the menu. [p]As luck would have it my usual source was out of butt roast & I had to settle for a 12lb shoulder instead. [p]Any body have any advice on cooking Shouler Vs. Butt. I assume same method would be fine for both. [p]I usually start my roast aroud 12am & let it cook overnight & into next day. Usually takes about 16 hours to reach 200 degree internal.[p]

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Rich K,
    I have done both and even done both at the same time before..they cook the same..I prefer the butt over the shoulder personally..no real reason why..just a preference..but rest assured you can prep it/ rub it and smoke just the same as a butt, use your polder or whatever for internal temps..I go to 200° let it rest for about 30 minutes..and enjoy..[p]Wess

• Thanks WessB

I appreciate the input. I hate suprises when cooking for a lot of people.[p]Rich K

• reg,
    The shoulder is the whole front leg and shoulder blade sections. When cut into two sections, the lower leg part, at least in the South, is called the picnic shoulder. The upper part of the shoulder with the shoulder blade is the Boston butt. I like the butt. It is cut closer to the loin than the picnic and, well, it contains more fat which makes for flavorful eatin'.
    Like my Grandaddy likes to say, "The flavor is in the fat!"
    -K