Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to repair broken Plate Setter

Grandpas Grub
Grandpas Grub Posts: 317
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Went out to egg and the wind had tipped over a gasser which was housing my Plate Setter. [p]I need some ideas on how to repair with the higher heats being potentially present in the egg.[p]Thanks in advance, Kent

Comments

• Grandpas Grub,[p]Don't know if this will work in your application but I found this "white paper" on the Naked whiz site.[p]Good luck,[p]John
    [ul][li]ceramic repair[/ul]
  • Grandpas Grub,
    The JB Weld documentation says it is good up to 550 degrees, so I don't know if it would handle the temperatures that the plate setter reaches. I would worry if you were going to be cooking pizza at 650 degrees obviously. If you only do low and slow cooks with it, then it should be ok. There is also Rutland Furnace Cement that some folks have reported using. Good luck![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Tiburon
    Tiburon Posts: 42
    Grandpas Grub,[p]I have used JB weld to repair mine with limited success. It held for a couple of cooks and then broke again. To regain some use from the plate setter I bought a second grill grate and place the broken pieces on the grill and the cooking grate on top of this. I have had to use a paver brick for one of the leg. This works ok for low and slow where the setter would be feet up. For pizza or bread application with feet down, I am going to have to stop being cheap and buy another setter.
  • Grandpas Grub,[p]Thanks all for the help.[p]I read the 'white paper' for JB Weld and to remove the adhesive it is recomended to take the temp above 600° for an extended period of time.[p]As suggested by TNW it might be ususable for low & slow cooks.[p]I think I will try Rutland if the 'white papers' show higher temp capibilities.[p]Thanks, Kent