Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Type of Gloves/Mitts?

Bevo
Bevo Posts: 179
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm seeking recommendations as to the best type of gloves or oven mitts to use with my BGE. For many years, I had used some welder's gloves with my old, steel offset smoker. Those gloves had several cuts in them, but I managed. Of course, I never had to worry about flashbacks with the old smoker.[p]When I got my XL BGE about six weeks ago, I learned through this forum about the flashbacks although I have never (yet?) experienced one. So I went to my BGE dealer when I was loading up on a supply of Ozark Oak lump and I bought a pair of 18" leather gloves that covered my forearms completely. I thought I had made a wise purchase but, when removing my platesetter to go from indirect to direct, I discovered they didn't provide nearly the heat protection I expected in the palm and finger areas.[p]So, what's the best way to go? Gloves or Mitts? What material? What about the silicone mitts? I'll appreciate the recommendations from those of you who have learned -- possibly the hard way.[p]Thanks,
Bevo (Colin) <Hopeful, but worried about the Oklahoma game Saturday>

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Bevo,[p]I have one of Raichlen's silicone gloves that is good for handling meat but not good for removing hot plate setters - it will melt, trust me. It has five fingers so it is pretty versatile for handling butts, briskets, and ribs. [p]I use a heavy elbow long oven mitt and grab the plate setter with a thick cotton towel when I need to pull it. I use the same method for pulling hot cast iron pans.
  • Bevo
    Bevo Posts: 179
    Thanks, Fidel,[p]I assumed I would just start using a towel in addition to the gloves. I surely don't want to buy another pair of gloves/mitts that are only marginally adequate. If there exists a "perfect" pair, I would buy them.[p]The last time you responded to one of my posts, you warned that Oklahoma was looking very good and I should be wary of this Saturday's game. It should be interesting, considering Oklahoma's game against Colorado and the Longhorn's game last week. I never would have thought that one of these two teams would be 0-2 in the Big 12 after this weekend. It reminds me of when Michigan and Notre Dame played with the inescapable reality that one of them would be 0-3.[p]Thanks for your reply.[p]Hook 'Em,
    Bevo (Colin)

• Bevo,

Like Fidel I have a pair of Silicone for handling the meat but I also have a pair of welding gloves from Home Depot I bought for $10 bucks to move that hot plate setter or cast iron grate. Works like a charm.

Cheers,

Al
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    IMG_0487.jpg
    <p />Bevo,
    I swear by my blue Orka's. They are rated to 500°. I have cleaned hot coals out of my eggs with them and they still look brand new. They also can be stuck in the dishwasher!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Bevo,[p]I have been using the "Ove Glove" for several years. It is a mixture of Nomex and Kevlar and insulates your hand from heat extremely well while you retain dexterity due to the five-finger design. It will not burn or melt in direct flame and is rated to 480 deg F. Two drawbacks - it is short glove, coming only to the wrist area, and it is not waterproof. In fact, should you use it while wet, the moisture can convert instantly to steam leaving some pretty nasty burns (I know this firsthand). Even with those two caveats in mind, I still like it better than the full arm welders gloves and the like because it is so much easier to handle items than with those bulky rascals.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Bevo,[p]Get yourself a GOOD pair of welders gloves. Had mine for as long as I've had my Eggs and for my needs they work great.
  • Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    Bevo,[p]RRP stuff is available at BB&B - (dont' forget those coupons!).[p]I bought some of the small fingertip ones that work great and they store nicely.[p]I like the silicone because it's easy to clean.[p]I haven't tried the Orka gloves yet - Hey they are on clearance on the BB&B site! You may be able to print it off and take it into the store for a price match PLUS the coupon! For that price, I'm getting a couple pair, that way, I should always have a clean pair out by the egg!
    The url won't work when pasted in the field so goto bedbathandbeyond.com and search for Orka.[p]Also, I purchased some TEXAS BBQ Rub and the $10 gloves...
    -Jeeves

[ul][li]http://www.texasbbqrub.com/[/ul]
  • Bevo,[p]As you know by now -- There are a few ways to go.[p]I have an old, grungy pair of insulated winter mitts which I use. They'll last me a few more years... maybe a dozen or so.[p]~ B

• Jeeves,[p]Linens ' Things has them for $24.79 delivered with tax for a pair (red and clear only)[p]Pretty good deal.

[ul][li]LINK[/ul]
  • Bevo,I bought some welders gloves from Harbor Freight here in Portland, OR. They work fine. I also have had ONE flash back and that was because I'd forgotten about the mighty "burp." That was my learning experience. I think flashbacks are more common using direct heat with steaks, etc. A good burp and caution are as important as the gloves. I'm happy with the welder gloves that I have.