Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Chestnuts

KyleKyle Posts: 156
edited 12:02AM in EggHead Forum
With the holidays coming up has anyone roasted chestnuts on the BGE? Is so how did you do it? On an open fire?[p]Thanks, I know it's a weird question.[p]Kyle
·

Comments

• Kyle,
    this question is kool and i look foreward to the answers... i'm doing pork ribs tonight for the first time...
    Pup

·
  • djm5x9djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Kyle:[p]Weird? NOT! My neighbor used to grill hickory nuts on an old clay cooker - they were good! Do your chestnuts at about 300º/325º till to your liking. Place them around the perimeter of the grill, not in the center over the hot spot. I wipe the grill down well after it has been heated to remove any grease instead of using foil.
    ·
  • ChefRDChefRD Posts: 438
    Kyle,
    Good question, but I don't know :)
    However, I have smoked spiced up almonds indirect at around 250 for about 30 minutes, turning once halfway, and they come out really good. I have used hickory and pecan for smoke. Both were good to me, but I never do it same way twice ;).
    Aren't chestnuts lots bigger in diameter? If so probably takes longer, the key i found is DO NOT burn them, better to be slight undercooked than burnt on the outside. IMO
    Let us know how it works out for you,
    Later,
    ChefRD

·
  • FireballFireball Posts: 354
    Kyle,
    Here is how I did this last year. I used a foil pan with hole poked in it to roast the chestnuts in. Roast them at 450 degrees for about 15 to 20 minutes. To stop them from exploding cut a small X into the flat side. This worked very well, however most of my the chestnuts were spoiled.
    Fireball

·