Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Turkey - vertical or rack,and what sizes for each?

I've seen the posting for Turkey, and saw someone cooked a 22 lb bird on a rack. When I tried a 14 lb bird on the vertical rack (wiht pizza stone for indirect at 350) the top of it got a little dried out. It seems to me that cooking at 250 might do the trick, but I am genrally confused as to what to try next week...and new in-laws are coming! If I go vertical, I would think a 16 lb bird would be abut the max...if I want to go a little larger (18 lbs?) should I go with the rack. Also...the recipe for the PDK BIRD doesn't say whether the pizza stone was used.
·

Comments

• YBYB Posts: 3,861
    Rev. Logger,
    Marc did use a pizza stone while cooking the PDK bird,he also used spacers in between the stone and drip pan.
    Larry[p]
    Setup[p] Large BGE
    Pizza stone for indirect cook
    Drip pan
    Ceramic spacers, placed between the pizza stone and drip pan
    V-Rack to sit the turkey
    Aluminum foil

·
  • PujPuj Posts: 615
    YB,[p]... and we'll be doing another PDK bird next Thursday too. Going to do a bone-in ham on the small, still noodling on what to put on the mini.[p]What's the menu for the Ward T-Day?[p]Puj

·
  • YBYB Posts: 3,861
    Puj,
    We will be cooking a couple of turkeys and a crown roast.My brother that lives down the road from you will be at my house along with 10 or 12 other people.Kaye will cook dressing,macaroni and cheese,deviled eggs a couple of casseroles and lord only knows what else.I will have at least 3 eggs going and maybe 4.I am lookind forward to turkey day this year it will be fun.
    Larry[p]

·
  • PujPuj Posts: 615
    YB,[p]That all sounds yummy (as always). Enjoy the time.[p]Puj
    ·