Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey stuffing

J Appledog
J Appledog Posts: 1,046
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In this day & age many people choose not to stuff their birds as a safety precaution, & cook it in a separate pan. I am still undecided because I was so pleased with how the bird came out in the recent turkey competition after being "stuffed" with apple halves and an orange with a few holes poked in it. I will make stuffing, regardless, and thought I'd share my recipe, which has always been a big hit.[p] Julie’s Corn Bread Stuffing: enough for a large bird

1.5 cups onion, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped (leaves included)
1 stick butter
.5 lb. ground pork sausage with sage included; or add sage to your favorite sausage. (I use Jimmy Dean brand).
1 cup coarsley chopped mushrooms (I include some shitakes)
8 cups stale corn bread, crumbled ( Use 3 boxes Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix or your favorite recipe)
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground peppercorns
1.5 teaspoons poultry seasoning or
.5 teaspoon thyme
.5 teaspoon rosemary
.5 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup white wine (or chicken stock)
1 egg, slightly beaten
.5 - 1 cup dried cherries or cranberries[p]Sauté onions & celery ’til just tender and put in large bowl. Cook sausage and mushrooms together. Pour off the grease and add to celery and onion.
Mix together with the bread crumbs and seasonings. Just before stuffing the bird, moisten mixture with the wine, add the egg & dried fruit and mix well. Stuff the bird just before cooking, via the indirect method w/ a drip pan, on your grill. At 350, 13 minutes per pound usually works for me, but have a meat thermometer handy.[p]

Comments

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    J Appledog,
    I am 56 years old and I grew up on turkey stuffing "Always Made In The Bird"
    I have to think that if the bird is cooked properly the stuffing should be just fine. Only my opinion.
    Happy Egg-n
    New Bob
    P.S. After all these years of turkey stuffing made in the bird I think? I am still alive.