Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's The World Record?

WudEyeDoo
WudEyeDoo Posts: 201
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
On my "low and slow" cook this weekend, I kind of expected that I would need to replinish the lump sometime around the 20 hour mark but when the meat finally was taken out at the 27 hour mark, there was still original lump burning! That's a pretty good testimony for the efficiency of the BGE.[p]I was wondering what's the longest you cooked without having to add lump? Let's just see what's the world record?[p]Bob

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    WudEyeDoo,[p]That's one good cook! I have never gone over 19 hours on my medium. I think 24 hours on a large is what most people talk about. You have made temerature control an art, and you are the Picasso![p]Smokey

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    WudEyeDoo,
    I have gone over 32 hours with a load. I am sure I have heard of even longer burns.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Nature Boy,
    Didn't one of your camper friends document 70 something hours of cooking on one load of lump. Seem to remember he started and stopped the cooks but didn't add any lump for over 70 hours.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Sundown,
    Something was on the cooker the entire time for 3 and a half days of camping, but more than one load of charcoal![p]I don't remember hearing 70, but I think I have heard of over 40 here on the forum. [p]Beers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Brant
    Brant Posts: 82
    Nature Boy,[p]I've gone 40 hours on one load between two separate low-and-slow fires. This was years ago, and I did run out of lump before the second Boston butt was finished -- just not quite enough fuel to get it to the 200 mark. My Egg was pretty new back then, and I was just playing around to see what she could do. I haven't tried since, because frankly, I don't like having to remove the butt, drip pan, heat deflector, and grid because I run out of charcoal mid-cook.[p]As for the record, I don't think my 40 hours counts, because it wasn't a straight run. I only mention it to illustrate how fuel-efficient ceramic smokers are. Honestly, I think that if someone wanted to try, it could go straight through even longer than 40 hours, because two startups and one shutdown waste a little fuel.[p]Brant
  • WudEyeDoo,
    I regularly do a 22 hour low and slow followed by an hour of high temp grilling for appetizers and such, without even burning down to the airholes in the firebox, burning approximately 40% of the original lump. This would lead me to believe that you could realistically hold 200 or so degrees for well over 50 hours with a full load of lump.

• Citizen Q,
    I've just read, in awe, your exchange on record cook times and would like to know how much lump charcoal you put into the firebox to get such extended cooking times.
    What is your low and slow temp?
    I have been putting in the recommended amount, ie., about one inch above the firebox holes, keeping the temp on the low side (220-300), using the daisy wheel and vent carefully but don't get anywhere near your long times. I am also curious which method you use to start the coals.
    I am a fairly new and proud Large Egg owner and brand spanking new to this forum. I checked the archives but couldn't find the answers I was looking for.
    Any input from you or others would be invaluable to me 'cause I am anxious to work out the kinks and get crankin, on some good grub! Thanks, Kovo