Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
National BBQ Month sure was tasty! We hope you got to try just as many new BBQ recipes as we did and some old favorites as well. If not, you can find all our BBQ recipes here and try them out all summer long. One of our favorites was Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise and Ted Reader’s Rum Injected Sweet Potatoes. As the weather’s heating up, use your EGG for a cool treat-Ice Cream Sandwiches! Keep an eye out for some Father’s Day recipes from chefs & their dads, coming soon!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Turkey breast

Uncle DaveUncle Dave Posts: 54
edited 1:41AM in EggHead Forum
Hey fellow eggers, Ive been gone awhile,but using my egg almost every night. My question on this sunday after noon is. Can you put a turkey breast on the rack indirect and smoke it. Do you have it brine it should i use a rub? Need some thing fast for to night Thanks
·

Comments

• JimWJimW Posts: 450
    Uncle Dave,
    Indirect should work well even without brining. Just put on a rub of your choice and cook it at about 325 degrees. If you want a crispier skin, go direct the last half hour or so.
    JimW

·
  • Uncle Dave, BRINING is the only way to go. Put your turkey breast in a pot and just cover it with water. Add 1/2 cup kosher salt, 1/2cup brown sugar, 12 oz. orange juice, tbs.crushed chili pepper, tbs. garlic powder and any other spices you like. Put in fridge over night. Brining itself will give you a juicy breast. Your own experience after a few trials will tell you what spices to use. Get your indirect heat unit up to about 225 deg. Put a thermometer in the heaviest part of the breast. Cook to about 170 or so. Let it stand about 15 or 20 mins. Slice and enjoy. The new remote control thermometers are really great. You can keep an eye on the meat with opening the grill. Good luck

·
  • BlueSmokeBlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    JimW,
    I'm figuring the breast goes in skin-side-up. Do you flip to skin-side-down for crisping?

·
  • JimWJimW Posts: 450
    BlueSmoke,
    I leave the breast up. The skin crisps up nicely.
    JimW

·