Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket Off Smoker

Options
Bob In Texas
Bob In Texas Posts: 111
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The first brisket cooked with my Digi II came off at 6:30 and was tender, looked good and was perfect in color, and taste, except for one thing, no red rind. I could see just a little bit around the tip area. I always heard that was a good sign of a good cook-off. What happened?

Comments

• Bob In Texas
    Options
    Can anyone give me an idea of why no red rind?
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    cd4733e3.jpg
    <p />Bob In Texas,[p]You mean the smoke ring? Give us your cooking parameters and if that doesn't help, and if you really really want one, I can almost guarantee one another way.[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Michael B
    Options
    Bob In Texas,[p]Did you add smoking chips or chunks to the lump?
    I usually use oak and cherry chunks and get both great flavor AND a decent smoke ring.
    For a deep smoke ring you need to place the chunks where they will catch early. The smoke flavor builds throughout the cook, but the ring forms while the meat is still below 140*. (130?)

• Bob In Texas
    Options
    Michael B,
    I put in two fist sized chunks of pecan at 12 and 6 o'clock, about 6 inches off center, then sprinkled a handful of oak chips all around. This was at the start. I haven't looked under the platesetter this morning. Maybe the pecan didn't do it's job. Starting off with the Digi II, it gets up to 225° pretty quick. Maybe that was the problem.

• Bob In Texas
    Options
    Michael, No smoke was the problem. The pecan chunks were just charred a little on one side, they wasn't wet beforehand. It looked like I only used about 1½ gallon of lump, throughout the complete smoke of 8 hrs.

• Bob In Texas
    Options
    thirdeye, I don't have any parameters, right now. All I know to do is give the brisket a good rub, then go at 225° until the internal is 195°. I think 195° is a little on the high side for me......Now, give me your guarantee, and remember I use the Digi II. Email it to me would prevent me missing the post.

• Bob In Texas,
    For what it's worth, I don't soak wood chunks or chips any more before putting them in the egg. I get plenty of good smoke throughout the cook with dry wood. I just let the puffy white stuff get done before putting the meat on. The air control of the egg will make sure the wood smolders instead of turning into a bonfire.[p]I load the chunks in with the lump, and keep them near the center, then put chips on top. That way, I get the best bang for the buck with the smoke, since you only really need it before the meat gets to 140 internal. [p]Good luck, as I'm on hour 19 with a 10# packer brisket at 200 grate temp with pecan & cherry. :-) [p]Cheers, Adrian B.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Bob In Texas,[p]you have mail[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery