Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Hanging Jerky

JeffJeff Posts: 75
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Will jerky cook faster if I hang from a second grill? Most recipes call for a 12 hour cook but they also say to arrange your meat in a mound. Will I need to reduce my time if I plan to hang?

Comments

• ChuckChuck Posts: 812
    Jeff,
    I do my jerky on three 10" X 16" screens that i get from my BGE distributer.(sorry I don't have a photo) One elevated over an inverted plate sitter, one on the main grid and one on a grid extenter. I usually do a single layer of meat, tightly packed on the grid, It will shrink somewhat as it cooks and as you taste it. I'm not sure if hanging is faster , but this method has never taken 12 hours, usually 5-6. I can't make it enough for my family and even have a friend that will buy the meat and I get to keep half for making it. Be careful i think it is addictive.[p]Chuck

• J1d.JPG
    <p />Jeff,[p]The temperature is what will determine how long it takes. I can't imagine 12 hours in a BGE, it would be hard to keep the temp low enough. More like 6-8 hours probably.[p]Don't know if it cooks any faster being "hung", but it saves you the time and inconvenience of flipping it.[p]K

• MickeyTMickeyT Posts: 607
    View?u=474327&a=10378379&p=41173366&Sequence=0&res=high
    <p />Jeff,[p]Hanging jerkey is really easy. Takes a little longer, but well worth it.[p]4 or 5 hours max @ 180/210 for this batch. That's 80 pcs. of jerkey also.[p]Have fun.[p]Mick

• Mr BeerMr Beer Posts: 121
    Jeff,
    I find that I get more jerky in the BGE if I hang it. I usually only keep the jerky in for 2-3 hours then finish it in my dehydrator. The jerky maintains the same flavor that way as if I had cured it completely in the BGE and I can also make two batches (i.e. more jerky) in the same amount of time. [p]Mr Beer