Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Cooking direct on the coals

Flashback BobFlashback Bob Posts: 518
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can you cook marinated steak direct on the coals? I've seen the direct-on-coals discussed here but don't remember whether you could do it with marinated meat or not. [p]I'm thinking the marinade is fuel and the meat might burn more than cook.

Comments

• gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,171
    Flashback Bob,[p]It would depend on the marinade. Many marinades have some oil in them, and that would flare up a little faster than the fats in the meat. Marinades may also have alcohol. That would probably evaporate quickly, and probably wouldn't be present when the meat hit the coals.[p]Any food directly on the coals will burn quick enough, as charcoal usually is about 1100 degrees when burning.[p]gdenby

• DarnocDarnoc Posts: 2,661
    Flashback Bob,
    No problem at all.When you reach a 700 degree temperature it is not going to make any difference if it is on the grate on in the coals.I prefer in the coals myself and it will freak out your friends when they see you do that.On top of the coals it will sear faster because of the higher heat.

• gdenby,
    Charcoal actually burns closer to 2000 degrees. However, once the meat hits the coals, the temperature at the meat/charcoal interface drops dramatically. The recipe I use from Alton Brown's show uses a marinade and there's no problem cooking direct on the coals.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz