Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stall in temperature rise

DynaGreaseball
DynaGreaseball Posts: 361
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know it won't be exact, but can someone give me an idea about how long this stall in temp rise at 160° on my 5.5 lb boston butt will last? Beginning to wonder if I need to reposition the probe.

Comments

• DynaGreaseball,[p]Can't even give you a ball park. I've had the meat plateau for 40 mins and I've seen it plateau for nearly two hours.
    Never done a 5.5lber though. Mine have usually been 9lbs, give or take.[p]As long as you placed the probe in a thick part of the butt and it isn't touching bone, you should be fine.[p]Cheers,[p]John

• DynaGreaseball,
    The plateau can last for hours, depending on the butt and the temperature of your cooker. You want the butt to stay in the plateau until it is ready to start rising again. This is when the collagen in the connective tissue is being converted to gelatin.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • DynaGreaseball,[p]You want the stall to last a long time... not to rush through this stage... That is, don't ramp the temp...[p]The longer and slower the stall, the more conversion is taking place within the muscle tissue, and the more tender the end product.[p]~ B

• DynaGreaseball,[p]What would we newbies do without you guys?[p]Thanks
  • DynaGreaseball,[p]I got my Egg a year ago... thought it was like any "other" grill... I destroyed some hamburg, hotdogs... offered up a steak or two to Osiris... and wondered why we spent so much money on the damn thing... I really thought I was going to sell it.[p]Then, I discovered this forum... and an instant read thermometer...[p]Oh, yeah![p]Nirvana![p]

• Broc,[p]Last week I was cooking a butt and had reached the stall. I was an hour and half away from the guests and had to make a decision to slice or go for the pulled pork.[p]I got on the forum and thirdeye and someone else told me to foil the butt and ramp up the temp to 350°.[p]I took the chance and that speed up through the conversion went fine and the butt turned out great. If not the best, then one of the best butts I did.[p]In my case the foil and temp ramp up worked fantastic. The bark ended up good also.[p]Kent

• DynaGreaseball,[p]Well, this tiny little roast finally started heating up. It had to have been about 1-1/2 hours in that plateau. Fortunately there's no guests coming...It's all gonna be for me![p]By the way, I used two fist size pieces of hickory for smoke. Is it a no no to use a sauce with fake smoke in it?