Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New BGE Dutch Oven??

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife just bought me a new BGE Dutch oven. Do I need to season it at all or just use it? While I'm asking I was also wandering if there is anything that I need to be doing to me Cast iron grate, other than just brushing the gunk off of it after every use. I cleaned it and put a light coat of olive oil on it before its first use as I was told to do on this forum. Just wandering? Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Dr. Walrod,[p]Cast Iron Grate - no. Dutch oven, if it is not preseasoned, yes.[p]Season by heating to 400° - 500° then oil inside and out, oven & lid.[p]You are ready to go. It will get better with more cooks.[p]You will love it & the food.[p]Kent
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    Dr. Walrod,
    ThisHere may help with alot of your questions.[p]happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Grandpas Grub,
    How do I know if it is seasoned or not? It is the dutch oven that comes from the mothership? Thanks for the help.

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Dr. Walrod,[p]If it does not specifically say preseasoned (even if it does) I would reseason it. That way you know its done.[p]Below Bente sent a link to Byrons Dutch Oven page. I forgot all about the page until I clicked the link.[p]Follow Byrons instruction for seasoning the oven. It is easy. I did mine in the egg but the oven is easy and quick.[p]I am going to post a cabbage soup recipe in a few minutes.[p]You will enjoy the food you cook.[p]Kent[p]
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    IMG_0427.jpg
    <p />Dr. Walrod,
    Spanking new cast iron without manufacturers seasoning looks dark grey and dull. Pre-seasoned looks black and has a slight shine, like in the above picture.[p]You can season cast iron with Crisco shortening in the egg so oil smoke stays outside- not in the house. Turn the pot upside down when seasoning so excess oil can drip out.
    Clay

• Pdub
    Pdub Posts: 234
    Options
    Dr. Walrod,
    If its brand new, you might want to wash it with soap and water. Then I have had good luck with firing the egg up to 400 or so and put a light coat of crisco on the cast iron. Put it in the egg for a half hour. Take it out and re-apply onother coat and put it back in for another half hour. Cast iron as a general rule likes oil and heat and dislikes water, soap and acidic foods like tomatoes. This is a good site, www.panman.com

[ul][li]pan man[/ul]