Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steaks, grits and what? for dinner?...

Options
GriffinGaDawg
GriffinGaDawg Posts: 332
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
looking for a veggie side.

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    GriffinGaDawg,
    I was just about to ask myself. I have a ribeye with some crab stuffed mushrooms.[p]Mike

• Buckethead
    Options
    GriffinGaDawg,
    When all else fails, Bleu Cheese cole slaw.
    Doug

• billt
    billt Posts: 225
    Options
    GriffinGaDawg,
    i am having grilled asparagus.... cooked while the meat rests.. wash pat dry drizzle olive oil a bit of lemon juice salt and pepper/ cooked at lower temps they get soft like boiled, high they get char marks always good
    bill

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    101_0379.jpg
    <p />bill,
    or stuffed poblano peppers
    DSCN0231.jpg[p]happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    BENTE,
    Terry, you're killing me with those stuffed poblano peppers. I can't find em locally. Dang those look good!

• Bevo
    Bevo Posts: 179
    Options
    BENTE,[p]What are those poblanos stuffed with? They look great, and we are big fans of poblanos, hatch chiles, and jalapeños.[p]Thanks,
    Colin

• BENTE
    Options
    Big'un,
    i got mine at the number one grocery store Publix (at least in my area)[p]happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    Bevo,
    i got a link sometime ago i think from fishlessman i stored it in my computor and i am not sure if this cut and paste will work but here goes.......[p]

[p] · 6 large poblano peppers or green bell peppers
    · 2 cans (16 ounces each) low-sodium pinto beans or black beans
    · 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon for drizzling
    · 1 medium onion, finely chopped
    · 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    · 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely chopped (for a hotter filling, leave the seeds in)
    · 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
    · 1/4 fresh cilantro, chopped
    · 1/4 cup hulled pumpkin seeds (optional; see Note)
    · 1 teaspoon ground cumin
    · 1 to 3 teaspoons of your favorite hot sauce, or more to taste
    · 3 cups (about 12 ounces) pepper Jack, Monterey Jack, or white Cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
    · Coarse salt (kosher or sea) and freshly ground black pepper
    · 1 cup wood chips or chunks (preferably mesquite), soaked for 1 hour in water to cover, then drained

1 If using poblano peppers, cut them in half lengthwise, and scrape out the seeds. If using bell peppers, cut off the tops about 1/2 inch below the stems. Scrape out the veins and seeds, taking care not to puncture the bottoms.
    2 Drain the beans, place them in a colander, rinse under cold running water, then drain again.
    3 Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, jalapeños, red bell pepper, cilantro, pumpkin seeds, if using, and cumin and cook until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Stir in the beans, hot sauce, and 2 cups of the cheese. Taste for seasoning, adding salt, pepper, and/or more hot sauce as necessary. Spoon the bean mixture into the hollowed-out peppers. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top, dividing it evenly among the peppers. Drizzle the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the cheese.
    4 Set up the grill for indirect grilling and preheat to medium. If using a gas grill, place all of the wood chips or chunks in the smoker box or in a smoker pouch and preheat on high until you see smoke, then reduce heat to medium. If using a charcoal grill, preheat it to medium, then toss all of the wood chips or chunks on the coals.
    5 When ready to cook, place the peppers in the center of the hot grate, away from the heat. Cover the grill and cook the peppers until they are tender and the cheese is browned and bubbling, 30 to 40 minutes. Use a spatula to transfer the peppers to a platter or plates and serve at once.

Servings: 6

Recipe Source
    Author: Steven Raichlen[p]Source: fishlessman[p]NOTE: Hulled pumpkin seeds (pepitas) are available at natural food stores and Hispanic markets.

happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Bevo
    Bevo Posts: 179
    Options
    BENTE,[p]Thanks for the quick response. I have printed it out and we will be trying it soon.[p]Colin

• GriffinGaDawg
    Options
    grilled proscuitto wrapped asparagus...good call.
  • billt
    billt Posts: 225
    Options
    GriffinGaDawg,
    winner! did you wrap asparagus before or after grilling can't wait to try.

• Desert Filly
    Options
    GriffinGaDawg,
    I love grits for breakfast. But for dinner? How are you making them...adding anything special?[p]Kim

• GriffinGaDawg
    Options
    before...proscuitto is loose when it is placed on grill and "shrink wraps" once it hits the grill and starts warming.
  • GriffinGaDawg
    Options
    you have to understand is that I am from, and live in, the south. Grits is a staple with any meal. Try it, you will like it. Shrimp and grits? devine! Steak and grits? Succulent. Grits and Grits? Great! See where I am going with this? [p]When you buy grits, don't get the quick crap they sell at most stores that can be cooked in five-ten minutes. you want stone ground grits that take about an hour to cook...it is the only form of grits around my house. Anson mills sells a good grit, but I get mine from carolina plantation (http://www.carolinaplantationrice.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=6). I prefer white grits. One last thing, when you cook them, cook them in chicken broth. You will thank me later for that tidbit. Enjoy and let us know how they turn out.[p]As for last evening, I prepared them as garlic & parmesan cheese grits. Just browned about six cloves of garlic (minced) in butter and tossed it into the grits and put about 1 1/2 cups of fresh grated parmesan in the grits at the end. Best meal in a while.
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    GriffinGaDawg,[p]Now THAT gal knows how to fix grits! People not from the south really miss out because I think the only experience they've had with grits was probably the yucky instant ones--or someone told them to put sugar in them. [p]I once had a breakfast meeting attended by a friend from up north who had heard of grits but had never eaten them. The restaurant we visited had really good ones, so I worked hard at persuading him to try them. Finally, he agreed to have "just one grit"
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    DynaGreaseball,[p]Gal? Sorry. I got confused as to who fixed the grits. LOL