Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A question on sugar in Ray's big time bbq rub

Options
dhuffjr
dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm wanting to make up a batch of drbbq's Big Time bbq rub and see it has both turbinado and granulated brown sugar. I've seen brown sugar in rubs before. I'd never heard of granulated brown sugar until a year or two ago.[p]What are its properties. Burn wise I'm thinking the turbinado is better. Basically why that vs all turbinado? I'm thinking it has to be a flavor thing.[p]Thoughts?

Comments

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    dhuffjr,
    Turbinado sugar has a delicious cane flavor and has large granules that hold up better than white sugar when on the grill.Brown sugar is great and has its own flavor but it is moist.In some rubs that I make I will put the brown sugar on a cookie sheet and dry it out in the oven before it is added to the rub.

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    dhuffjr,[p]The taste is a little different and it won't burn if you're cooking at a good temp, but it won't be dramatically different if you use all turbinado.

Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    drbbq,
    Thanks Ray, I think I may try it both ways to see the difference. See you in Atlanta.[p]H