Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Jerky and Lump

Options
michael
michael Posts: 47
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Looking for beef jerky recipes. More on the black pepper type rather than canjun or terryaki(?)[p]Also I went to pick up more lump and the store had an off brand (other than BGE) and they said they could no longer get BGE lump?
Has anyone heard of this?[p]Michael

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Michael,
    Cant respond to your lump delemima..but you should still be fine..just watch for the funky lookin stuff in any bag you buy...as far as the jerky..you can and should modify any recipe to suit your own tastes..of course you would have to use another to find it doesnt suit your taste..I have only done jerky in a dehydrator and it took me over a year to perfect that to my taste....so as with many recipes here let your taste buds be the guide..but dont hesitate to try what many post as their personal preference as they also have done the trial and error..but it still all boils down to personal tastes...[p]Wess

• Michael,[p]See the link below, "Just Jerky Recipes", for a bunch of recipes. Some of the best I have found are on GFW's website, http://yyyz.net/bge/default.asp. Go there and do a search for Jerky.[p]K[p]
    [ul][li]Just Jerky Recipes[/ul]
  • Trout Bum
    Options
    Michael,
    I'm trying Natures Own lump now. It's all maple and from Canada.
    I've had a couple of bags of somewhat shaky BGE lump lately. A lot of shiny pieces (look maybe like pine with bark and all) and many small pieces.
    B D

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    View?u=1386188&a=10352463&p=34908554
    <p />Michael, Check out Gfw's site or The River City Beef Jerky recipe in the recipe section. Try it once and then start to modify. Got a great batch ready for Thursday.
    I buy Chigger Creek Lump by the pallet, good quality.[p]CWM

• sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Options
    Michael,[p]Simple recipe:[p] 2/3 cup Worcestershire
    2/3 cup soy
    1 tablespoon salt
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    1 teaspoon garlic
    1 teaspoon onion powder[p]This will handle ~3 lbs of meat. Marinate overnight in the fridge. You could add crushed red pepper, to "kick it up a notch", as this recipe really isn't that spicy.[p]I'm getting very close to jerky season, which I've been waiting for all summer long. Still a bit hot out, here in Phoenix, but with any luck, November will bring temps lower than 95![p]--sdb

• J1d.JPG
    <p />Michael,[p]I place my jerky on bamboo skewers and hang it so it doesn't have to be turned.[p]
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Kermit,[p]What is under the main grid -- a pizza stone?? What holds it at that level?[p]Tim

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Tim M,
    My guess is that it is a platesetter with legs on the fire ring. Grate right on top.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Tim M,[p]Platesetter, upside-down. You could actually hang more meat thru the main grate, but I just run two eggs with the same setup. Actually plan to buy a CookShack smoker this week for jerky, large groups, as a holding oven, and some experimenting.[p]Tim[p]