Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

crusty steak without the salt

mollysharkmollyshark Posts: 1,519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Need some steak imagination here. I've been doing the mustard/salt rub or CharCrust steak thing for a while and love them both. Now it looks like the newest member of the household has to cut back severely on salt. Anything that will give that good crust without the salt intake?

Comments

• SpinSpin Posts: 1,375
    MollyShark,[p]Make your own saltless rub as you can adjust the taste to your liking. Dry the steak well with paper towels just prior to applying the rub and cooking. The natural sear crust is great.[p]Spin
  • SundownSundown Posts: 2,851
    MollyShark,
    Hey there, how's everything going?
    Hate cutting back on salt because I love it so much but I had to do a little cutting back plus Gayle (my lifelong sidekick) doesn't like a lot of salt on anything.
    We have been using a ground pepper and garlic combination and she loves it. We have done it any number of times and I'm getting to like it even more! Fresh ground pepper...lots of it...steak au Poivre quantities with out the cream of course and dried garlic pieces (we get at the local natural food store)
    I do bothe sides with olive oil first cover well with the 'stuff' and spray on a little more oil. Sear. Dwell. Enjoy.
    Stay in touch.
    Carey