Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

WooHoo!! Julie Did It!

Options
ChefRD
ChefRD Posts: 438
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well today was the first Annual Rockford Mi. Turker Cook Off, and our own Julie Applegate won First Place! There were turkeys cooked different ways, such as weber kettles, brinkman offset, and two deep fryers going. The type of bird and method and recipes were left up to the individual. There was a panel of judges (was it 10? of us who DID NOT cook) and we were given the task of judging all the turkeys. We were told to judge the meat on the appearance, flavor, and the moistness of the bird. The trays of the sample turkey were brought to us and we had absolutely no idea which person cooked this particular batch.
After all was said and done, Julie won 1st place with her large egg.
Second place also went to Tom with a large BGE and third went to a very nice guy that I have never met before, and he cooked with the weber kettle.
I MUST say all were very good and it was hard to pick one but we all had a great time and hope to participate again next year.
JR took some pix and will post them when he can.
later,
ChefRD

Comments

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    ChefRD and everyone else,[p]THANK YOU for all of the encouragement & congratulations. We went out there not just to have a good time, but to win. It's great when a plan comes together & one gets to be (turkey) Queen for a day! [p]I will post my methods in a separate post. JCA[p]

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    J Appledog, No thanks needed here. You won it fair and square and there definitely was some stiff competition from the others. There was several excellent birds, but your's was just simply better and the judges agreed on it.
    My question now is.... How you gonna top that in Feb? ;)
    later,
    ChefRD

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    ChefRD,
    I don't know but I am sure that rum will be involved! JCA