Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

A basic brine?

SundownSundown Posts: 2,913
edited 3:28AM in EggHead Forum
I know there are as many brine mixes as there are people out there but, is there a "rule of thumb" mix to go by that anyone knows of?
Thanks
Carey

·

Comments

• ShelbyShelby Posts: 803
    Sundown,
    Follow up question to that: what type of container to use?
    Can I use a stock pot as I don't think I have a large enough plastic one with a lid. (Not sure I've got a pot that will fit in the refrig that will hold a 20 pound bird either.)

·
  • Sundown, I think the most important thing to remember is to keep your brine solution in the ratio of 1 gal. of water to 1 cup of kosher salt or 1/2 cup regular table salt. I made a brine last night to soak a turkey breast.Here is what I did,2 gals. water 2 cups kosher salt 1.5 cups light brown sugar 2 garlic cloves crushed and chopped. Twig of fresh rosemary and oregano. Of the 2 gals. of water I needed I took 1/2 gal. and heated to dissolve the salt and suger and infuse the garlic, rosemary, and oregano then added the remaining 1.5 gals. of cold water. I will soak the turkey breast for about 24-28 hours. Be vary sure that you rinse the meat well before you put it on the egg. Hope this helps. Good luck!!
    ·
  • SpinSpin Posts: 1,375
    Sundown,[p]The most basic brine is 1 cup of water to 1 gallon of water. Everything else is flavorings added to the brine mixture.[p]Spin
    ·
    Shelby,[p]I've had good success using an Igloo 5 gallon water cooler (the kind you see strapped on utility trucks). I add the brine and bird, then add ice in plastic bags on top. The bags keep the brine cool and help hold the bird submerged. I have done a 25.5 lb bird in it. It won't one much bigger![p]Spin
    ·
    Spin,[p]If you change that 1 cup of water to 1 cup of kosher salt, I would most appreciate it :-}.[p]Spin
    ·
  • ShelbyShelby Posts: 803
    Spin,
    Excellent idea!

·
  • Sundown,[p]a few weeks back, someone mentioned that the current issue of Cooks Illustrated has an article on brining. I picked it up and the article is very enlightening. You should check it out if you get a chance.[p]Kevin

·
  • fiver29fiver29 Posts: 511
    Sundown,[p]Well, I believe a basic brine consists of 1 gallon of water, at least 1/2 cup salt and 1/2 cup sugar. Every thing else past that is for taste.[p]You have to have something that will marinate the meat. A combination of something very acidic with salt will usually do the trick.[p]This is why I use lemon and pepper with salt on fish. Or salt with vinegar on certain meats. Now I don't just use these by themselves. I always add more basil or honey (sugar) and so on for flavor. Whatever tastes good to you on these dishes is what should go in your brine.[p]You have to have something acicid with salt, then anything else for flavor to make a good brine.[p]IMHO
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

·