Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Day help needed

Options
Sparky
Sparky Posts: 34
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have the wifes ok to do a turkey on the EGG this year. I have never done one before.Can anyone give me some help on this project.
What I'm looking for is cooking Temp,Time per pound, direct or indirect, filling(onion apple etc.)wood type, brine suggestions..
Basicilly the works..I want to BLOW her away with an awsome bird..[p]Thanks
Bill

Comments

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Sparky,[p]Here's the recipe to the Eggtoberfest 2000 turkey. It's fun to do, and the happy bellies are well worth it.[p]Puj
    [ul][li]PDK Bird[/ul]
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Sparky,
    Between my ranting - maybe I can help you a little - I hope so anyway.
    http://www.tm52.com/bge/bbq-page26.htm[p]Check out the link above or below for some ideas. Let me suggest that you use no wood for smoke on your first outing because the lump itself will provide a little by itself and you can easily over do it. Go indirect - which means atleast a drip pan and a vrack or vertical roaster. If you have a couple firebricks, use them under the drip pan to keep the drippings from burning and smoking -- yuck. Get the Egg up to 350 and hold it there about 10 min to make sure it is stabilized and not smoking as it cooks off the last meal you did in it. Foul absorbs smoke VERY quickly and easily and can overpower the meat. [p]I don't like dark meat so we do breasts only and I cook them to 165 deg. I think you will be very happy with the results.[p]Tim

[ul][li]Turkey on the Bge[/ul]
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Tim M,
    I agree with you suggetions. No additional smoking woods just let the lump do the flavoring. Just blew my family away with the flavor.
    Just one thing you forgot!
    When you bring Mr. Turkey in to carve be sure you have a pan or deep plate under him because the juice that POURS out should be saved for gravy. I'll never forget the first one I carved without using a catch basin! Had to be cup - cuo and a half for drippins! Best dang gravy I've ever made.
    Carey