Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Chicken Question--Answered!

Options
Rib-Rob
Rib-Rob Posts: 66
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I reduced the fire to 300 degrees, and let the chicken sit about 20 minutes longer than the computed 1 hour, and -- "Oh my goodness-this is THE best chicken I ever ate". My wife said "Well! This is a keeper!" Heady stuff, indeed.
It is as Chef RD, Sippi, and Carl T. said. It is about hot spots and elevation. Either one will work, I think. When I went to turn the bird and saw it was over a volcano, my physicist-brain went into over-drive and said--"Duh!". So I moved it, and lowered the temp to 300, which I am still not convinced was a bad idea. My next option was to use the BGE elevated grate. I think that would have worked also.
350 degrees might have worked, but not over the volcano. Anyway, the combination of olive oil, garlic salt, Cavender's Greek seasoning, and the fact that this machine saves one from one's own inexperience, made a great meal. And, slightly off topic, if you ever get the chance to buy Black Diamond Platinum Reserve Cheddar cheese (aged 4 years and 6 bucks a pound at Sam's club) by all means do it! Thanks to all for the advice.

Comments

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    Rib-Rob,
    Why wouldn't it work to cook it indirect over two fire bricks? Thats the way I start my wings now to get rid of all that grease and smoke. Then I finish direct.

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    Rib-Rob,[p]I always do spatchcocked birds direct at around 350, with the grid in its normal position. I've never had any problems doing them this way.

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    Rib-Rob, Glad it worked out for you. As you have now seen there is more than way to get the same thing. (food that is good to you) Either way is fine if you like the results and can do it again the next time. :) I agree this is a great way to do chicken and I thank TNW and BandBBQ for enlightening us.
    later,
    ChefRD

• Rib-Rob
    Rib-Rob Posts: 66
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,
    Interesting. Do you use olive oil on the bird at all? I'm thinking that that may be the culprit. I might give it another try without the oil. Thanks.

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Rib-Rob,
    I've spatchcocked 12 birds so far and I'm not sure what you mean about a volcano. You shouldn't have anything even resembling a volcano at 350 degrees. For some photos of my method, visit my website:

[ul][li]The Naked Whiz's Ceramic Charcoal Cooker Page[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • BluesnBBQ
    Options
    Rib-Rob,[p]Every time I've done one I marinated the bird frist (using different marinades every time). Since the maridanes usually have oil in them, I didn't oil the skin. If I was going to do one without a maridane, I would use some oil (olive and peanut are both great for chicken).