Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Don't like smoke in your chicken?

Flashback BobFlashback Bob Posts: 519
edited 11:41PM in EggHead Forum
Neither do I-at least not that bitter, bad smoke.
Today I did a 7.5 lb spatchcock chicken that I wound up doing as two halves rather than 1 butterfly. I haven't S-cocked much because I tried it in the early days and the skin was rubbery and the meat didn't taste good from the drippings burning on the coals.[p]But today it came out great! Dusted with Shakin the tree and cornstarch. cooked on raised grid @ 350 for an hour. I was nervous because smoke was continuously coming out the chimney and I could smell the drippings burning throughout the cook.[p]After an hour, almost there (like it above 180 in leg/thigh) so I flipped it skin side down, opened up the vents, cooked for another 5 min. This time it was done. Skin was still a little chewy but good, meat was excellent. Breast meat, which isn't popular in this house, was very popular tonight.[p]This was by far the best chicken yet![p]A friend of mine does a low-slow chicken that I've heard is absolutely fantastic! I've got to try that next!

• Big'unBig'un Posts: 5,909
    Flashback Bob,[p]I've never had a bad one yet. I always put a drip pan below the chicken due to the amount dripping. It really seems to help.[p]