Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket direct, crazy I know

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm about to attempt my first brisket using Dr. BBQ's shortcut method (1 hour fat down, fat up to 160 degrees, then wrap in foil until 200). But it calls for indirect heat. Makes sense. [p]I don't have a plate setter or fire bricks. Just the cast iron grate and the stock grate, lifted by 5 inches via bolts to get chicken closer to the dome.[p]Can I push the coals to one side, and place the brisket over the empty area? It's a flat, so I may have room on my large egg.[p]Man, I really gotta order one of those plate setters. Any recommendations for a place to order them online?[p]

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    seesharp,[p]Put a drip pan on your bottom grate, then the brisket on the top grate. Put about an inch or so of water in your drip pan.[p]Instant indirect set up. Not quite as good as a plate setter, but more than sufficient to get 'er done.[p]Order the plate setter direct from the mothership if you can't find one locally.
  • Bozzy
    Bozzy Posts: 27
    Options
    seesharp,[p]All that tallo dripping on the fire will create a mess in your fire box and bitter smoke.[p]My suggestion would be to make a plate setter....put a drip pan on the lower grate and put something that won't burn in it (rocks, sand, landscaping stone...or just put a landscaping stone on the bottom grate).[p]boz.
  • Fidel (and Bozzy),[p]Both great ideas. I didn't even think of that. Thanks for helping fellas! I love this forum.[p]- Seesharp