Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New fish cook for us

SSN686
SSN686 Posts: 3,500
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Morning All:[p]When we stopped at Publix tonight to get some type of fish for dinner, the much better half saw some Steelhead Trout so we decided to give it a try. Ended up getting a 1.1# filet. EggHatter found a recipe for a paste to spread on the fish prior to cooking. The paste included lemon zest, orange zest, oregano and olive oil. The trout went on the mini [p]P9150008.jpg[p]But before the trout went on I had the wok heating up on one of the large Eggs.[p]P9150005.jpg[p]waiting for a mixture of sweet potato and butternut squash cubes. These had been sprinkled with salt, pepper and Penzey's Balti seasoning along with a little olive oil.[p]P9150007.jpg[p]Everything came of at the same time and was very tasty. The trout had a nice flavor and went well with the sweet potato/squash mixture.[p]P9150009.jpg[p]After the veggies finished, pulled the wok, dropped in the platesetter and finished off the dinner with a Mrs. Smith's Peach Cobbler (would have been better with a scoop of vanilla ice cream). Not bad for store bought, frozen dessert.[p]P9150012.jpg[p]Have a GREAT day!
Jay[p]

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    SSN686,
    Looks great Jay! -RP

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    SSN686,
    I would appreciate knowing a little more detail about the fish cook and also how hot did you cook the squash and sweet potatoes.[p]Thanks

• SSN686,
    Your magic with the mini never disappoints. Nice pics.[p]Mike

• SSN686, It all looks good Jay. The veggies were a great idea. They look awesome.
    Scott

• SSN686
    Morning BobS:[p]Fish -- the paste was on the flesh side of the fish only, skin still on. Put on mini, skin side down with dome temp of about 300 to 325. With the fish having one "thick" side and a "thin" side it was a little difficult figuring out about being done. I did not flip the fish at all. When the thinner side looked done (probably about 6 to 7 minutes) I cut it away and removed. The thicker side went about 5 minutes more. As the picture show the top part wasn't done quite as much as the bottom, but all of it was very moist and tasty.[p]Veggies -- I let the dome temp get up to about 500 for maybe 10 minutes before I dumped the veggies in the wok and closed the dome. After about 6 or 7 minutes I very carefully opened the dome and stirred the veggies to reduce sticking, then they went another 7 or 8 minutes before removing them.[p]Hope this helps![p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• SSN686
    Morning AZRP:[p]Thanks Randy for the kind words! Look forward to seeing you & "Desert Filly" next month.[p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• SSN686
    Morning Car Wash Mike:[p]It's a long way from magic, just takes a little planning (like buying the right size piece of fish to fit properly). See you soon![p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay[p]

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• SSN686
    Morning Scotty's Inferno:[p]We have done these veggies quite a bit and really like them this way. They are a good compliment to fish. [p]Let's try to get a lunch in next week (I'm on vacation the week after). At the moment I'm good for any day except Wednesday. Hopefully Al will be checking the forum and chime in as to which day works. [p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    SSN686,
    Im good wednesday or Thursday.

• SSN686,
    Looks great, Jay! Hope all is well with you folks.[p]Mike

• BobS
    SSN686,
    This is great as far as the instructions go, but was wondering more about the proportions on the paste for the fish.[p]Thanks ahead of time.

• SSN686
    Morning BobS:[p]Sorry about that! [p]1 tablespoon lemon rind, finely grated
    1 tablespoon orange rind, finely grated
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    Salt & Pepper[p]Mix the lemon and orange rinds together with the oregano and olive oil. Rinse,dry and liberally salt & pepper the fish. Spread teh citrus mixture onto it.[p]We didn't have actual lemon & orange rind, but used dries lemon & orange peel spice. It still tasted very good.[p]The recipe came out of Rick Marx "The Everything Grilling Cookbook". [p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay[p]

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• SSN686
    Morning Lawn Ranger:[p]Thanks for the kind words. Overall everything is going fine, looking forward to Atlanta again (how about surprising everyone again with your presence!).[p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay[p]

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• BobS
    SSN686,
    Thanks a lot!