Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SOS-chili

Options
RAK
RAK Posts: 27
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Help! I made a huge batch of chili-with beans. I know most of you don't think this is possible, but I got it way too hot!!!! It wouldn't be too bad, but I am taking some to my 92 year old mother. She likes chili, but she can't handle it this hot. Any suggestions for removing the heat? Thinning it down isn't much of an option, as it is in a big pot now and I don't have enough ingredients to keep adding. Would adding sugar help? What about cooking a potato in it. I know that works for too much salt. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• smplee
    smplee Posts: 3
    Options
    Rak,
    We made some Hatch Green Chili stew not long ago that was pure hellfire. We experimented on a small portion by adding potato and it helped. However, the texture and color of the chili suffered greatly since the starches in the potato overly thickened everything and added a cloudy sheen. Sugar resulted in ... well ... sweet hellfire. We ended up freezing about 3/4 of it, then returning the remainder back to the original volume by adding the rest of the ingredients again. This was a happy choice, since we got to eat it three more times!

• RAK
    RAK Posts: 27
    Options
    smplee,
    Thanks. That is about the conclusion I have come to.

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Rak,
    I've had some luck over the years cutting the fire with a hershey bar. I've had chili that my family couldn't touch and the Hershey bar did the trick. I add a quarter of the bar at a time and taste taste taste. Your chili can taste like a hershey bar if you aren't careful. It has something to do with the chocolate. Good luck!