Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone ever smoke Pheasant?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have some pheasant that I would love to smoke on the Egg. I have tried grilling on my old gas grip (pre-egg) and it always dried out. I would hate to ruin them, but I have faith in the egg. Looking for a good Egg recipe. I had thought about wrapping in bacon and tossing them on around 220. I would probably use some Cherry or Apple.[p]Thanks

Comments

• Maverick,
    I think I'd do it like a little chicken. I never had one, but it sure sounds good.

• Maverick,[p]Goin' back a little, my brother used to pheasant hunting and bring home birds from Nebraska.[p]The kitchen table talk was always about how tough and dry the meat was until Mom took to marinading the birds before cooking. [p]Also, currently, we brine almost all fowl we cook and, even on my ol' gasser, they come out more moist than ever before.[p]So, i would either look for a good marinade or brine before smoking. not sure on the wood to use but probably at the 225 range for temp.[p]sorry to ramble and hope it helps - watch out for the shot![p]eddy-turn

• Maverick,[p]My second cook on my Egg was pheasant. I trussed it with bacon as you are suggesting with sage leaves tucked between bacon and bird. The only thing I would change is that I would brine it first. [p]If you want to marinade, Joy of Cooking has a marinade recipe for wildfowl.
  • Thanks for the advice. I ended up brining for about 4 hours, then coating with a honey soy mix, added a little dizzy pig spice too. I then wrapped in bacon and smoked with apple wood.[p]Very Good.